F5 MN-30 Battery Pack Disassembly

a_tonkin

I've read that the MN-30 pack uses 9 1.2v rechargeable cells, whereas the

normal MS-30 holder can accommodate only 8 batteries. The trick to getting

faster & longer operation is to get the 9th cell in there somehow. I wondered

if anyone knew how easy it is to disassemble a MN-30 and simply use that as a

holder for individual cells? Are they that convenient, or are they all held

together with glue and solder?

Still hopeful of finding anyone who actually runs this seemingly Mary Celeste-like website so I may change my registered email address

Won't know until you try it. Usually they are held together with some sort of adhesive. The battery cells usually are the ones with welded tabs, soldered together, and usually there is some sort of thermal fuse in line to cut the circuit if things start to overheat during charging. You might get away with replacing one set of cells with another and reseal them (I have done this with some of my amateur radio battery packs -- converting them from NiCad to NiMH), but I would not expect that you could just pop them open and swap in standard rechargable cells each time -- that is what you are suggesting, right?

That being said, I have never personally taken apart the MN-30... I did take apart a rechargable pack for a Kodak 720 or 760 (whatever one was based on the F5). It used what are known as 2/3 AA (same diameter, but shorter) rechargable cells.

• 3 months later...

I've had Kevin at http://www.batterystation.com/ build me a few replacement inserts for some of my amateur radio equipment (replaced dead 600mAHr NiCad pack inserts with a 1400 mAHr NiMH insert, tabbed and with thermal fuse -- custom, didn't match anything in his "configuration chart"). If you can get it open, and identify the cell sizes, and get him a good picture/diagram, I bet he could build you an insert to match.

The usual warranty voiding, do so at your own risk stuff applies.