3rd party flash units for D80

paul_ferrante

If you want properly exposed pictures, stick with a Nikon flash. If money is an issue, they just released a new flash that is about $125 that will do the job as well as the SB-600 and Sb-800 (fewer features, less power).

You invested in a great camera - why wouldn't you want to invest in an equally good flash?

<i>The Nikon speedlights are $200-$400.</i>

<p>Nikon SB-600 and SB-400 speedlights with USA warranty can be had for $185 and

$130 respectively. </p>

<p>My D80 has been working well with the SB-600. I'd give some thought to the SB-600

because of two particular features that work with the D80, "Auto FP" synchronization, and

the ability for the D80 to control the SB-600 as an off-camera slave flash WIRELESSLY with

no additional parts/cost/etc. </p>

<p>The "Auto FP" synchronization of the D80/SB-600 allows you to use the flash at ANY

shutter speed-- you are not limited by the 1/200s normal sync speed limit if you use an

SB-600. I do not know whether the SB-400 has the "Auto FP" sync capability. </p>

<p>Using the SB-600 as an off-camera slave so far has worked VERY well. The D80

controls the off camera flash by sending out signals through its built-in flash. It can be

used in both TTL and manual modes in this configuration and you tweak the settings

through the D80's menu system. It works very well! At least in the small indoor spaces

I've been shooting. I am even considering adding a second SB-600 given how well it has

been working! The SB-400 does NOT have the off-camera slave capability.</p>

<p>If those features are not important to you then by all means proceed with the third-

party idea if you can save money!</p>

What you'll do is spend a $100 or so for a Yamaguchi ProSpec III or Plasmar XXIV flash for

your D80.

Later, you're reading the manual on the D80 and realize that this camera can do some

pretty amazing things with a Nikon speedlite.

So, you buy the Nikon speedlite because it does some pretty amazing things (see above).

You've just spent $100 more than you needed to.

Things change from day to day, so better check the latest.

Third party flashes that claim Nikon compatibility, (notably Sigma and Metz - possibly others), may work in iTTL as main flash in the camera shoe. Even though this is subject of different opinion.

In multiple remote flash setup, and mixing brands (iTTL compatible brands that is), can make it very difficult to work or change setup, if work at all.

Read 3rd vendor flash spec and they will not provide you any details. Usually they will be fast to claim Nikon iTTL, if only a single mode or a single feature works in iTTL, but majority of vast CLS/iTTL features that Nikon provides may not work the same way as it works in Nikon system.

As an example of a single feature in Sigma flash that was supposed to be compatible: Sigma tells you that to use the flash as a remote in the Sigma NA-iTTL mode, you slide the flash in the camera hot shoe so the camera will read/set the flash, THEN you remove the Sigma flash from the shoe, and move it to remote location to work as a remote flash. HOW ridiculous this idea may sound to Nikon iTTL/CSL system users ? In Nikon, you just change the setting for a remote flash Nikon flash by simply changing a value on the commander.

OK, you've convinced me, I'll wait a couple of paychecks and spring for the SB-600. One other question. What kind of SD card would you recommend, brand, size and speed? I know my old coolpix 4300 couldn't take advantange of the higher speed cards, can the D80. If yes, is it really a noticeable difference in speed writing to memory?

Hi, Paul. I have the Sigma EF 500 SG Super Na-TTL. It works fine with the Nikon D80, and D50 and D200. But forget the Auto FP, the wireless remote TTL flash modes and groups. And it costs about 200 Euros in Canary Islands, I had to buy the Sigma because I had a quick bussines and my normal store (Maya) had not Nikon Flashes.

Save a little money and buy a Nikon flash.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just a response on the SD Cards for the D80. I have and SD Extreme III and a TopRam 150x. In countinuous shooting on RAW the Extreme takes the 6 photos in buffer and then 1 every 1/2 a second, and the TopRam takes the 6 photos then 1 about every second. TopRam claims to be faster that SanDisk, but the Extreme III is much faster.

Hope this helps.