D80 & Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor

john_ellingsworth

Hi.

I recently acquired the D80 w/18-135 kit and wanted to get a fast lens that I

could actually afford. I am strongly considering this lens, and am wondering

what specific issues I would face in using it with the D80. I also considered

the 50mm f/1.4, but from what I have read, the soft focus of it negates any

benefit over the 1.8.

Comments, suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

John, I use the f/1.8 version and love it. It is a great performer. I've also used a non-AF version of the f/1.4. I think people get too entrenched in legend and fail to sort out fact, but the f/1.4 is a great performer as well. If there's a "negate" element in the comparison, it's that there is not a full f-stop difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8. Plus the f/1.4 is about 3 times more money. If you need the speed, the f/1.4 is a great lens too, and the only time it ever looks soft is at full aperture.

I don't know where this myth that 50 1.4 is significantly less sharp than 1.8 comes from. True, about twice as more expensive than 1.8 but yo do get better optics and a faster lens. No doubt 1.8 is better value but 1.4 is without a doubt a better lens in just about every way.

The only reason to buy 1.4 is 0.3 stop difference and use in very dim light. 1.8 is maybe the best ever sharo lens of Nikon. I use it 30 years and I am it's superb. This is not just my opinion but you may read reviews. Keep the extra money for the next lens.

I have the f/1.4 and love it. I had the option to buy the 1.8 while at the store trying to

compare them. Of course it's impossible to see any difference in the camera on the

monitor, but what was most annoying was that the camera guy insisted that I wouldn't

need the 1.4 or see a difference and the 1.8 was exactly the same. Considering they are

close, but not really the same, I decided to go with the 1.4. Why would Nikon make two

lenses exactly the same? So in that moment I opted to go with that logic. And because the

camera guy looked down his nose at me.

On my d200 it's a great performer, one I have in my bag all the time. It's also a beautiful

portrait lens in my humble opinion.

Consider the 35 2.0 AFD. It has more contrast wide open and sharp but not quite as sharp over f4. But for speed you get good results wide open and the ability to shoot at 1/30s if you have static subject and steady hands. I find the 50 1.8 to suffer loss of contrast wide open and needing 2.8 to match the 35 2.0.

You can pick up a used one for 200 from KEH in BGN condition. Worth the 100% premium over the 50 1.8 in my opinion. I would not say the same for the 50 1.4

I have been using the 50/1.4 AiS for a long time. Every time I see "their" slides I have to remember the softness of the images produced by this lens. In spite of it, I like it and use it quite often. Not always a bit soft is the same as bad. Never used the AF version, neither the 1.8 or 1.4. My 45/2.8P is quite different, pretty sharp.

Go to this site to read about the best of Nikon ever http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html

and let the unfocus minds to say whatever. Just ask some fellows to publish their work instead of trying to prove they are experts. The 1.4 is not soft but the dof at 1.4 is very shallow and very difficult to focus. Who ever owns any of these lenses will never change his mind. So more photos and less discussion.<div>00J8s3-33968584.jpg.7b98a298cc8e8e6cebaef0b628e99467.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...