K10D compared to not versus D200

ivan_shukster1

I have been a long time Pentax user since the Spotmatic F days and have a number

of decent or at least useable lenses. And all my current Pentaxs are film

cameras. At work I used a D1X and now a D200 which I love. I have read on some

past posts that some people have used both the D200 and the K10D. I am thinking

of purchasing the K10D primarily for my wife but also for my use when I have not

brought the Nikon home from work. I will probably continue to use the D200 as my

primary colour camera as have access to countless lenses and love the camera.

So my real question is having used the D200 would I expect to be satisfied with

the K10D as far as quality of build, easy of use and image quailtiy? It is at

least a three hour drive to see one in person so I am asking here. I do not

expect the two models to be equal in all respects considering the price

difference but does the Pentax feel and handle in a similar quality as the D200?

If the answer is no then my I will think about a D200 or even the D80. It would

be nice to have the same system for film and digital and we have lenses from 17

to 400 in K mount already but as I have large and medium format systems I

hardly even shoot 35mm anymore.

Once again I am not looking for which is the better camera, just if the K10D

will be very close in quality to the D200.

Thanks

I have not held the K10D, but I think it will be like, if not better, than the D200. Bearing in mind that the D200 is a pretty sturdy camera, the K10D is weather proof. Any weather proof camera has to be sturdy. Also, with all your pentax lenses, the image stabilization in the K10D will be invaluable, espacially with your 400mm lens(s). You can also purchase adapters to use your pentax medium format lenses on the K10D.

I have held, tried out, and am about to buy a K10D. This will be my first serious digital camera. I have a couple manual focus pentax lenses, k mount, and they worked fine. The viewfinder was similar to my Konica Autoreflex T in brightness. I have to do more research on lenses before I buy more, but I can tell you the K10D feels real nice in hand. Better to me than the D70 or the Sony Alpha. Much better, in fact. I have never held or used a D200, so I can't speak to that, but from what I've read and seen first hand, Pentax has a real winner here.

Went to a winter sales event last week and played with the D200, D80, K100D and K10D. I would say in terms of build quality the K10D was up there with the D200. It feels better than the D80 in terms of build quality. I also liked the K10D's size, not too big, not too small.

The build quality isn't as good as the D200, but it's close. The K10D is the only other weather-sealed body in the sub-$2000 market.

Image quality will be as good at low ISO's and better at high ISO (The 2 channel version of the 10MP sensor is cleaner and the K10D is close behind the D80 for noise, the D80 being the cleanest 10MP body).

The K10D is a step up from the D80 in build and handling, but not quite the D200's match.

I sold my D200 and the lenses I had for it to get a K10 with SR. I've only had 4 days, but so far I don't regret. :) The build quality seems good and the userinterface is simple when you get used to it.

I havn't compared the picture quality, with the D200 I used most JPG and now I use RAW.

I didn't need 5f/s.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Placed a deposit on a body yesterday at the local photofinisher at a very good price. It is unlikely to be in intime for Christmas but that is ok as she would be suspicious if I took out Pentax film cameras along with the Hassleblad and D200 for the few days we are going away. For now the 17-28 will have to do on the wide end

• 9 months later...