good starter setup

trothwell

Hi, all!

I mostly frequent the Canon EOS forum here, and the vast majority of my

photography has been with available light.

Especially over the next few winter months, I would like to spend some time

learning about studio/location lighting. I THINK that what I'm after is a basic

two or three light kit that I can move around reasonably easily and learn the

fundamentals from. Doesn't have to do everything I'd ever dream of, but should

be capable of providing quality results for what it does do.

Is there some sort of lighting set up for a new learner like me that you all can

readily recommend? The Canon 50mm/1.8 of the lighting world, perhaps?

Preferably something circa $1000 (or less), but I'm willing to spend more if

spending more is the way to get what I'm really after.

Thanks!

Man, save money and learn! Go to www.britketlight.com and get 3 BB-200's with lightstands and umbrellas about $250 for 200 ws strobes. Build yourself a lightpanel and flag to block unwanted spill light. Use or get a light meter unless your digital. Buy a 42' 5n1 reflector from www.fotodiox.com with a light stand and boom arm to hold it! Then buy Basic Studio Lighting by Tony Corbell and get ta rollin!

You might like to take a look at this http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Futx&tag=

It doesn't recommend specific makes but it may help you to decide what's important to you, and to save you from wasting money on features you don't need or from buying equipment that isn't up to the job.

And this is a list of Lighting Themes that may help you. http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BjHh&tag=

My personal approach, if I was starting from scratch, would be to buy one reasonably good quality light and learn how to use it well; accessories can then be added, followed by other lights if necessary.

BTW, I don't have a problem with people mentioning Stro bist and there is no censorship here. I blocked people from posting spamming links to the site, just as I try to prevent any other kind of spamming.