minimal fading please

I am doing a school project on what I can do to stop or slow down the process of fading prints. My

question is: When choosing to develope digital photos which would be the best service; the two-day, the

one-hour, or just printing them at home. Another big question is "Where can I place these pictures so that

they don't fade or discolor?" I also have a full proposal about my project below and if you any information

(or resources) that would be of value to my project I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks~Mandy

The world of photography can be such a blur and is to most, not to mention prints. Today almost

every family has a camera...most now are digitals. The methods of saving and printing these are much

different with the digital camera than they were with the traditional 35mm cameras. There aren't any

negatives with the digital which means that you have to save them on a computer that may crash or maybe

accidentally by deleted from your computer. So there you are and you have all these really super good

pictures and you want to have a way to see them and also show your friends and family your latest picture

of your pet or another family member. I really want to help families save their past and their history, and

so I plan to inform them about what they can do to keep those prints of their children and other family

members, special events, or any other time that they felt they needed to remember through a picture.

When choosing to develope digital photos which would be the best service; the two-day, the one-hour,

or just printing them at home. Another big question is "Where can I place these pictures so that they don't

fade or discolor?" Well I plan to find out by placing three prints in front of artificial light, another three

prints in a window that gets natural sunlight, and another tree prints in a closet that never sees light. All

of the photos will fade, I am guessing that the natural sunlight will the fastest, then the artificcial, and

then the prints that won't be in the sun. Some fading may be called discoloring because different colors

fade at different rates.

I think that in the end my final answer will be that there is a ray penetrating through the glass and

causing the photos to fade and discolor. I aso think that the two-day service will also have minimal

fading.

I think Mandy posted yesterday's question (a different question) as well.

The ones in the closet will fade, but probably not noticably within the time your project lasts.

You might consider breaking the artificial light test in two: one with the prints unprotected, and another with them behind glass. My guess is you will see a difference.

In explaining fading, you should also consider the effects of atmospheric gases on the prints, not just light. (Hint: this is the reason for the suggestion in the previous paragraph.)