North Cascades NP photography?

matt_plunkett

Hello,

<p>

I'll be spending several days in the North Cascades Nat'l park (Washington State) at the end of the month (after several days in olympic. . .mmmmmmm. . .).

<p>

I plan to backpack around the area and I was wondering if anyone could share some of their more memorable locations for photography in this infrequently-visited national park!

<p>

Many thanks,

Matt

You're talking about over 505,000 acres of park that includes over 504,000 acres of wilderness area covering 3 Counties. If you could be a tad bit more specific about where your current plans are taking you and how long "several days" are perhaps I could be a bit more specific on pointing out areas to consider. There are trails virtually everywhere of all levels of difficulty that provide a plethora of opportunities for photography, all of which can easily cater to your specific photographic interests whether it be flora, fauna or scenics. For example, there are the Nooksack River Trails, West-Side Ross Lake Trails, East-Side Ross Lake Trails, Cascade River Trails, Lower Steheking Trails etc. Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

<p>

Greg,

Gig Harbor, WA

I have just returned from a 5 day trip to NCNP. What are you looking for? NCNP is 97% wilderness and is definetly a hikers park. Long dayhikes and backpacks are the only way to really see most of the park. Most day hikes are up and back on the same trail. To do a loop one must usually backpack 2-3 days

<p>

The park actually consistes of three areas whose management is cordinated by the National Park Service, (Ross Lake National Recreation Area, Lake Chelan National Recreation Area, and North Cascade National Park). Several designated wilderness areas are situated just outside the boundries of the park. Ross Lake NRA is dominated by two dams owned by Seattle City Light. Lake Chelan is a natural lake raised by a dam. Most people just drive the road through the Ross Lake area and take in the great scenery from Highway 20. I like the views from mile post 154-170 myself. As for hiking you might consider a trip up to Maple Pass for good mountain scenery. Also, McAllister Creek and 4th of July Pass have great views. Ruby Creek is a nice walk along a river next to Highway 20. Lake Ann is a great day hike with great views of Mt. Shuksan. Cutthroat Pass and Rainy Lake make a nice 1 or 2 day backpack with views of Cutthroat Peak.

<p>

Hope this helps.

<p>

P.S. Bring your insect repellant.

<p>

<p>

Many of the trails are long trudges in thick forest with hardly a view unless a fire has burned the area in the last decade.

Let me add that I change my equipment for long dayhikes or backpacks in places like NCNP. Rather than tote my Nikon and its lenses, I use my Pentax MX and the 28mm, 50mm and 75-150mm M-series lenses. They save a lot of weight and space. I use ISO 400 print film by Fudgie or Kodak since my only stability aid is a hiking-stick/monopod. NCNP can experience drastic changes of weather and you need the space and weight to carry extra clothing, food, and other stuff that will help ensure your safe return to civilization.

• 1 year later...

If anyone is going to North Cascades NP Area, here is a must-do list:

<p>

1. Liberty Bell at Washington Pass on Hwy. 20 in fall color

2. Cascade Pass / Sahale Arm for incredible views of peaks

3. Hidden Lake Peaks for mountain views.

4. Lake Ann for views of Shuksan

5. Trappers peak for views of the Picket Range

6. Copper Ridge for meadows and views of mountains.

<p>

Scott