Best flash for 30d

idphotography

I have a 30d and like to buy a flash for it. I would consider non-Canon

brand. Any experience with it?

Best flash for your money?

What about Sto-Fen Omnibounce? Useful? Alternative?

I read in an older post that some flash are not "tailer-made" for 30d? Is

there one that is?

Thanks in advance.

<P>The 430EX is designed for the 9-point AF system, so AF assist works with all points.

Aftermarket units, e.g., Sigma, usually only work with the center AF point. Older Canon

Speedlites EX, e.g., 550EX, do not provide AF assist with the upper and lower AF points.</

P>

<P>Of course if money and size aren't considerations, the 580EX is the best. I'd rate the

430EX as best bang for buck as it has 90% of the features and power of the 580EX at a

much lower cost (I think there's a small rebate too).</P>

<P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_430ex.htm"

TARGET="_blank">My 430EX Review</A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have a 30D and have the 580 EX as well as the Stofen Omnibounce, which is nice as it's portable. The omnibounce I tried for the first time last week at a shoot, and it was a big improvement (less shadows on people in indoor settings).

Per another thread on this site, I also plan to get a Stroboframe quick flip to help with the sometimes less than stellar indoor lighting conditions I have at times. I believe the model 350 is collapsible, which for me would be a plus since I'm on the go, and rely on either public transportation or cab to get around.

hope that helps.

sheryl

I'd agree on the 580EX. I own both the 30D & 580EX.

Excellent combination, with the battery grip (optional) on the camera to stabilize it as well

The 580EX on eBay isn't even that expensive - go for Canon.

I use to own accessories from Sigma, Tamron etc...

Sold them all to buy Canon's.

I have a Fong lightsphere and a lumiquest promax system. I've been using the fong mostly but I will be going back to the promax. My gripe with the promax was the slight side shadows when shooting vertically.. not to mention the bracket. And the fong is unpredictable for me I can have the proper exposure then almost the exact same shot will be underexposed. When it worked there were no shadows. I really wanted to like it but I am going to have to put it back in the bag for a while. Thats too bad too, I hate having to use a bracket.

Anyway, they cost the same, if you already have a bracket go with lumiquest. If not, the Fong may work for you.

• 2 years later...