Sekonic L-208 TWINMATE or VC Meter II?

Hi,

i recently acquired an M3 and was wondering what everyone thought was the best light meter to go with

one. I have done some research and find that most people seem to recommend these 2. The feature that

stands out to me the most is that the Sekonic is almost half the price of the Voigtlander. Is the VC worth

paying that much more? Appreciate your thoughts.

As someone who had the same dilemma about a year or so ago I will now recount what went through my head as I stood at the B&H counter checking out both of these meters.

<p>

<ol>

<li>The Twinmate was cheaper than the VC Meter II

<li>The Twinmate was twice the thickness (at least) than the VC Meter II

<li>The VC Meter II was a lot more "sleek" looking than the Twinmate

<li>The VC Meter (as in the point above) just looks better on the M series cameras - like it "belongs" there.

</ol>

<p>

Hope this helps - and I decided to pay more for the VC Meter II - never had a problem with accuracy either. Only thing is that the battery compartment door could be more sturdy in keeping closed but that's about it.

<p>

Cheers,<br>

Dave

Hi Michael,

I own, and have used, the three mentioned meters VCMeterII, L208 and Leica MR.

The more practical on my M3 is, by far, the VC. It looks very good also. It's also true that the ISO adjustment tends to move "by itself". Be careful to choose model II and not I (thicker and with a not-so-good design of the battery cover)

The L208 is an excellent meter and a very good choice if you like to carry it in a pocket. It's bulky and ugly mounted on top of an M Leica, but is the only handheld meter I really use (my Gossens and Minoltas are lost in some drawer)

My MR works perfectly and it's unsurpased if you want the classic look. It's also coupled to the shutter spedd dial. Disadvantages are: bulkiness, lower sensitivity and that, sooner o later, you will scratch the top of your camera (unless you have the camera case with the meter hump and keep it mounted all the time)

The only meter I actually use on top of my M3 is the VC-II.

Michael, I have two Leica MR meters. They're really good, despite their quirks. I use them with my M3, whose top is fairly... used, to say the least. I also have the Twinmate. Beware, as it tends to overexpose (at least, mine did, by something like half a stop). However, the L208 is relatively sturdy, doesn't have the moving ISO wheel problem of the VC meter, and you can take quick readings and then stuff it in your pocket or carry it around your neck.

Now, Marcello, you have dozens stored... meters or batteries?

Take care!

For those who are moderately mechanical, I fixed my VC meter's ISO dial by taking it apart and pounding something (I want to think it's the dial disk, from the inside) very lightly in the center with a small ball peen hammer to make it very slightly dome shaped, so that when I put it all back together it acted like a spherical spring washer, and stays where I want it. I wouldn't recommend everyone do this, but if you're a fixer like I am, that's how it's done.

I've got an M3. A brilliant camera, but a separate light meter is also great with an M6 when

batteries run out or if you need spot metering. I heartily recommend a Sekonic 308b

(Google it). It's really simple to use, and ultra compact. IMHO useability is FAR more

important than price.

Michael,

I have both meters. Go with the Sekonic L-208.

It's not a matter of size. It's a matter of whether you want to take the INCIDENT reading or the REFLECTIVE reading.

The Sekonic is a wonderful little meter for Incident reading. (Forget its Reflective mode - it's good at all)

Unless you're a Landscape photographer, you will find that Incident method will give you much better results that the Reflective method.

Since I changed my metering technique to Incident (except when I'm doing distance Landscape), with the Sekonic L-208 in my pocket all the time, the results of my work speak for themselves.

Cardy

I agree, carried in your pocket, the L208 is the best. But on top of your camera...

Anyway, if this will be your only one meter for a long time, choose the L208, no doubt. If you want the meter that combines best with your M3, aesthetically and functionally, choose the VC-II

I agree, carried in your pocket, the L208 is the best. But on top of your camera...

Anyway, if this will be your only one meter for a long time, choose the L208, no doubt. If you want the meter that combines best with your M3, aesthetically and functionally, choose the VC-II

wow, i didn't expect so much helpful information. I am overwhelmed by your kindness. Thank

you everyone for your suggestions. I think i am leaning towards the VC meter since it appears

to suit the M3 more specifically. I will be using it exclusively with it. And price might not be a

factor since i have a feeling Santa might have one in store for me....