Question on Nikon 50mm Lens, AF Nikkor f/1.8

jim_b8

Hello everyone!

I have a question. I just bought a used lense( Nikon 50mm Lens, AF Nikkor

f/1.8)

Its the older version, not the D version. I paid $30 for it. Its in good

condition, although I haven't used it yet. I have read good reviews on this

lense, and I am looking forward to trying it on my D70s.

My question is... There is a little orange switch on the lense, and I think

its to lock the aperture to F22. Is this correct? DO I need to lock it to use

it on my D70s?

Thanks,

Jim.

If you wish to use this lens, on your camera in full auto you do, but you can set the aperture manually by unlocking the aperture ring using this switch, and setting your camera to manual, I usually just leave the switch engaged on lock, "aperture at f/22" and use aperture priority to set the aperture!

Have fun!

Ken.

I had a 1.8 50mm (sold it with an older camera). The "switch" you are talking about should be a pin that you push in and the turn 90 degrees to lock the aperture. The design could have changed through the years but the principle is the same. The pin is to lock the aperture ring at F22. The D70s sets the aperture via camera controls rather than the old manual aperture ring. For this to work properly, the ring has to be locked at its smallest setting.

The D70s will complain if the aperture ring on the lens is not set to the smallest position. The lock is to help prevent the ring from moving off the smallest position accidentally.

As long as the aperture ring is set to f/22 (any other setting will give a "FEE" error on a D70s in all modes) you don't *need* to lock it. The switch simply prevents you from accidentally moving the aperture ring.

If the switch is a round push button, and it doesn't lock automatically when you set the ring to f/22, then push in the button and turn it 90 degrees. If it is a slide switch, then just slide it into position so that the switch lines up with the orange index mark.

Jim said he bought the older model 50/f1.8 and has to lock it at f22. That implies that there

is a newer model.

Does the newer modelwork the same way? And how will I be able to tell if I am getting the

newer model when I go over to B&H to pick one up?

Thanks.

D//

• 10 months later...
I've run into this issue with other lenses on my D40. Of course the d40 is another animal entirely when it comes to AF lenses...but yes, I'd have to lock the setting to the smallest aperture. BUT, even despite that, when I mount it on the camera the diaphragm is opened up the the LARGEST setting, regardless of where you set the ring; the camera controls the aperture from there onward.