5D B/W images... can they be bettered?

I've not long had my 5D and have been playing around with shooting RAW + Mono

JPEG shots. So far, I haven't been able to better the internal B/W JPEG

conversion the camera does with PSCS2 and channel mixing conversions on the RAW

image. In fact, I reckon the B/W images straight out of camera are great!

Am I wasting my time? Should I just accept that the Canon alogorithm does it

realy well and be happy that my B/W workflow can be some far reduced?!

Simon

I shoot with the EOS 30D and generally never shoot in the B&W style from the camera. There are really two reasons for this.

1. If you shoot in the B&W style, you will never have the option of the color shot, but if you shoot in color you can process both color and B&W.

2. There really are so many different effects available if you post process in Photoshop using Color Channels. IMO B&W out of the camera tends to be somewhat nutural.

<b>"If you shoot in the B&W style, you will never have the option of the color shot, but if you shoot in color you can process both color and B&W."</b><p>

Ron, if you set your camera to shoot RAW+jpg you get the best of both worlds. RAW will still be in color and the jpg in b+w.

If you want to roll your own...<p>

I've tried every conceivable action, method, and technique for converting in PS. The best method, by far is found at the link below. It gives total control over every aspect. I have yet to find this much control. It's not for PS beginners. But if you're familiar with adjustment layers, channel mixer, etc., give this one a try. If you're not PS proficient, run it anyway. Just play with the sliders until you get something you like ; )<p>

<a href="http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#KC_BWSelect">Kent's B+W Selective Color v4</a><p>

Sorry to be a dullard, but I can't post any samples until I work out how to do so... give me a little while!

To answer question re. conversion techniques, I have tried two:

1) open colour RAW file into PSCS2 with white bal correction and a linear curves setting, add a levels adjustment layer, then add a black nd white gradient map layer. Adjust red, green and blue levels individually until visually happy with contract and tone, then flatten image. Finally convert to grayscale from RGB.

2) open image, go to chanel mixer, set to gray, adjust channels individually as above. change image to grayscale.

I admit it's pretty basic - I'm not an advanced PSCS2 user and I haven't tried selectively adjusting images with dodging/burning etc. yet...

Simon

Simon,<p>

What b+w parameters do you have your camera set to? That out-of-the-camera b+w looks very dark to me. Your blue channel on this one is very noisy, best to leave that one out of the mix.<p>

I did this example using your color original and the action I mentioned above. No burning/dodging, etc. Just a straight conversion (I did sharpen):<p>

<a href="http://upload.pbase.com/image/71200085">Converted using Kent's Selective Color action</a><p>

Pam - that's nice looking conversion...

My camera B/W settings are out of the box (3, 0, N, N)... to be faire, the original was quite dark (I didn't exposure compensate in RAW conversion deliberately, but it was set to Auto and did add some)...

Perhaps my conversion technique just needs to be better! At least by shootin RAW + JPEG I've got the options (that was the thinking, anyway)

Simon,<p>

<b>"I didn't exposure compensate in RAW conversion deliberately, but it was set to Auto and did add some"</b><p>

Ahhh, that probably explains the difference. I don't know, maybe I'm strange, but there's something about the Canon b+w mode that I really like....that long, smooth tonal scale, very nice.<p>

As for using Kent's action. Did you get it loaded into your actions palette?<br>

- First, click on the arrow to open the action. Click on "Instructions" and press the play button. This will explain a little about what the action does.<br>

- Start by highlighting the #1 option, "RGB Chan Mix + Selective color and press play.<br>

- Follow the instructions, press continue after reading the instructions, then make adjustments to the tools as they appear.<br>

- When the selective color adjustment appears, choose a color from the drop down list and play with the "Black slider" to see if that color is being affected. Adjust each slider to taste.<br>

Simon,<p>

If you downloaded and unzipped the action, you need to place it somewhere on your hard drive and remember the location. It's not a good idea to place into the PS folder because you might lose it if you need to re-install.<p>

Open PS, open the image file you want to work on. Go to Window>Actions to open the actions palette. At the top of the palette you'll see a small arrow pointing right. Right-click on it and go down to "Load actions". Navigate to where you placed the action and load it. Continue as above.