canon 50 1.2 L is released, anyone has a copy yet?

anson_ko

I'm hoping my sugarmama will leave one under the tree come December 25, so I'll keep you

posted.

Incidentally, many seemingly random shops had a copy or two a few months back. I wonder

where the kink in the supply is? Perhaps Canon is leaking them out slowly to insure top dollar

outta all the doctors, lawyers and yuppie-puppies eagerly waiting on store lists.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I just sold my 50 F1.4...and good riddens to that soft @ F1.4 dog!

I'll be getting mine after I receive my bonus check in January. I suspect it will have color & contrast & wide open sharpness to rivel my 85L, and if so, the 50L will be my most used lens...pushing my 35L back in the bag (but not for good).

"I just sold my 50 F1.4...and good riddens to that soft @ F1.4 dog!"

Traditionally the wider the aperture the softer the lens, and this applies to classic designs of the past (the f/0.95 designs of yesteryear). I can't see why everyone is licking their chops over a potentially softer lens with a depth of field of a gnat's eyelash. Wouldn't it be better to stay with the sharper f/1.8 and jack up the ISO a bit and take care of the noise in post processing? But I guess it would be un-American to fight bigger is better.

Wayne (Campbell): Have you seen images from a Leica Noctilux?

Shallow DOF can be used as an 'effect.' It's not a defect. You can still close-down any

superfast glass to have your pictures look like those from any pocket digicam.

As for the 1.2L being "soft," we'll have to wait and see. No reasonable person expects it to be

as sharp at 1.2 as the 1.4EF is at f2. HOW soft it is will determine its success or failure. Keep

in mind though, that semi-sharp wide open at 1.2 will still have decent "apparent sharpness"

because the out of focus areas will fall away a bit quicker. That contrast is a factor.

I would be suprised if the Canadian price goes lower then the $1520 I paid for it in the next couple years. I still dont get how most stores are charging full price in the US, while in Canada you see deals on this lens. Canadian prices range from $1520, 1585, 1600, 1656, and on up to the US value of $1799. The $1799 Canadian works pretty close to the $1599 US pricing.

As for my copy they said the lens is out here in Canada, but back ordered. More copies will be out in a weeks time. This seems to coincide with the UK release of December 8th.

LLLozeau in Montreal lists it at $1519 CDN.

at http://www.lozeau.com/english/indexe.htm

The store I got it from basically price matched Lozeau at $1520 and that store is Lens and Shutter.

http://www.lensandshutter.com/index.lasso?content=locations

The store was the Abbotsford one I ordered from. So you have a choice, but Montreal is a lot closer to you.