Print Credit or Prints?

michelle a.

In my packages I offer a set # of prints of specific sizes..... Does it make

more sense to offer print credits instead?

I've been using Instaproofs for my online ordering system and I can purchase a

voucher for them with a code on it that they can use when the go to Instaproofs

to pick out their images. They could use the print credit in anyway they choose.

I'm wondering how many here do it this way, and if so do the clients like it better?

The benefit of print credits is this: the credit is a dollar value rather than a product value.

If the client waits 10 years to use their credit, it doesn't matter - it's still worth the same

dollar value. And if your rates have gone up, then they use their credit and pay you the

difference.

If you're giving prints and the client waits 10 years to choose their prints, then you will

lose money, because your costs have almost definitely gone up since you pre-sold the

prints.

Credits rock.

Another element here, from the customers viewpoint, might be the fact that they get to choose the distribution of the money over a range of products.

I find that customers pick a pretty wide range of photos when given the option to spend thier "credit" in their own way. They can pick one large image or they can pick some 4x6's and 4 8x10's ... they get to mix and match which brings it back to the possibility of them buying more than the credits given which is more joy for them and more Unexpected money for you if they choose to go over the credit limit.

Credit is nice, but when looking at pricing they have nothing to compare one photographers package to another. You can do the math if you want, but seeing quickly what they get with prints vs the other guy is much easier to compare packages and service.

As far as the 10 years down the line...just put in a clause with your package that prints (or even credit) must be used with 6 months.

The problem with the "must be used within 6 months" idea:

Our attorney told us that it's a bad idea to refuse to provide a product that someone has

pre-paid for. You can charge a "late fee", you can charge "interest", but you can't just

refuse to deliver the product because they PAID for it. (Unlike those clothing store

coupons for a free pair of socks, which CAN have a deadline since no money has been

exchanged.)

If you want to go the non-credit route, you have to be prepared to stick to your guns when

people pass the deadline. Are you really going to charge them fees? And, to avoid letting

people miss their deadline, are you prepared to follow up over and over and over again

encouraging them to make their selections?

There's no right or wrong way to do things. And the point about comparisons was a good

one. Just be aware of all the ins and outs of both options.

Anne, William, JC Thanks! I have at least 3 brides that got married in the early summer who still have not picked out their images that they've been promised. I wouldn't dream of putting a time limit on them.

But I think I shall switch to print credits over prints.... I can see now that there a benefits for the couple and myself by doing it this way.

Thanks again guys!

I switched to print credit (reprint allowance) years ago because I was always being asked if they could have different sizes than I offered..

Amen to letting them order late... I don't bother charging a late fee and actually don't have a time limit.

A 2005 wedding just placed a second order (first was for $625 worth of reprints) for $1500 worth of reprints. I've said here before that I've had orders over $2,000 4 and 5 years later. I have a huge one (double volume album) coming in soon for a bride I shot 6 years ago.

Often the couple moves - buys a new home - have a child or two - Make more money - and at around the approaching 5 year anniversary - they think it would be really a nice gift to each other to celebrate the anniversary with an album.

Funny thing is that even though I have it in writing that they can use the allowance at any time and/or place the order at any time - they STILL apologize and feel embarassed. My goal is to make sure they know verbally and in writing in the proof album in bold letters that there is no time limit. How many times have I heard people tell me - "oh - we were so busy moving and settling into new jobs/homes etc that we didn't get around to doing an album and getting prints - but now it's been 2 years and we're embarassed to go back to the photographer and I wonder if he/she even still has our files/negs.. Lost business for that photographer for sure.

I also went to a print credit a couple of years ago - I've never been big on dictating specific quantities and sizes. Also no time limit as well. Like Mary said, it is funny how apologetic many couples are that it takes them so long to use it at times. However, while I have not thought about using/or asking about a voucher for my online proofing (digilabs), I have them go through me exclusively for using it - wider margin, of course.

This really depends, I think, on your demographic. If I were targeting high end brides, I would go the print credit route or a la carte route. But, since I target low to middle income brides, knowing that such women love to shop and compare, i.e., they enjoy that whole process, I find it is better to have fixed packages.

When the potential client, bride-to-be, says to her fiance, "Gee, honey, now this package has this, but look, that package has this, for just a little bit, more, and well, I think we could really use the extra prints because....", and on and on, then I know I'm going to get a contract signed.

Patrick