Old Glass on RD-1 or M8

dankapsner

Dan, nothing that I want to post, but I was playing around with my M8 in my apartment and noticed a big difference in the 50mm Elmar 2.8 of 1958 and the 50mm 'cron of 1969 when shooting a framed poster and magnifying crops of the shots. In terms of sharpness and color rendition, I liked the later 'cron a lot more, but at full frame the older Elmar had its charms too. So long as you're not obsessed with camera or lens tests, use the older glass. At least for me, it retains its film-comparable charms. (Remember, this is personal use and opinion and very limited.)

I shot this the other day with the Canon 35mm f2 Black at a range of around 10 feet and cropped in. ISO setting on the RD-1s was 800, with 1/3 stop over-compensation, giving an effective ISO of 640. I haven't done formal experiments to calibrate it, but my sense is that either the RD-1s is tuned slightly to underexposure, or the sensor is a bit less sensitive than rated, hence the compensation.<div>00Ivj0-33696784.jpg.4580588f9449b0cd1065bb4b8bb03c24.jpg</div>