what film for highest quality?

I am starting with a new project where I need to use 120 film instead of 4x5

which I actually would prefer in this case. The final images will be enlarged to

approx 70x100 cm, or larger if possible. Want them to be fine grained and with a

lot of detail. I will use a tripod so ISO 50 (or lower) will not be a problem.

Currently I mostly shoot with Fuji NPS 160 and I want a film with similar

colours. Guess that slides (velvia) is better in terms of grain and detail but I

would prefer a colour negative film if possible.

Any suggestions?

Use (almost the same) improved film: Fuji Pro 160S.

Further research will be a waste of time, there is no better C41 film.

Robert

PS. Reala (100) will give you the same grain but different color(s) but you suggested already a film with similar colors and if you prefer color negative an E-6 film is then no option.

Maybe an obvious point but I wouldn't even think about using slide film unless you're planning to scan and print digitally. I have metre square prints from a LightJet here based on 6x6 Velvia and Provia transparencies that will work well and stand close scrutiny- and if you are printing digitally then you can reduce saturation a little.

If you don't mind me saying so your choice of scanning and/or printing method and the skills of the people doing it will have a bigger bearing on your final print than which film you choose.

Best of luck.

Oh and, while I certainly do see advantage in slide film when it comes to grain, I wouldn't recommend any slide film for anything but a more stylized photograph where you need the extra punch or a nature shot where its more difficult to judge contrast.

Even Astia just doesn't have enough latitude to make an image appear natural as the way eye sees it. It increases contrast.

But so do most prints from minilabs from negatives.

Careful printing from a negative can make a print have a natural contrast true to the way eye sees things.

Though I've seen my fair share of prints from negs with blown out highlights and crushed shadows.

Fuji 160S is not the same as NPS 160 -- it is much finer grained.

In 35mm version, Pro 400H (formerly NPH) is finer grained than NPS.

Are you scanning or printing from negative? That makes a difference

in recommendation. Astia 100F is finer grained than Fuji 160S in

scans, but much less sharp according to the datasheets, with lower

low-contrast resolution. Velvia 100 resolution seems overrated on

the datasheet, but it might yield an excellent drum scan.

"Astia 100F is finer grained than Fuji 160S in scans, but much less sharp according to the

datasheets, with lower low-contrast resolution."

I thought it was just me, but figured I didn't know too much about the technical aspects of

photography, so just dismissed my own observations. My subjective evaluation is, yes,

indeed Astia 100F is finer grained than negative film, but I get very fine detail resolution from

scans of Superia-Reaka 100 and 400UC.