Softboxes and Octaboxes: salient differences

larry n.

Can someone comment on the differences between a softbox and an octabox

(especially if you have experience with the ones sold by Alien Bees/White

Lightning).

As you might know from my other posts, my main concern at the moment is

shooting flat art, but any wisdom on softboxes or octaboxes would be greatly

appreciated.

Aside from the round shape of the reflections created by an octabox, some softboxes, like Chimeras, Photoflex etc, can be had with an extra diffusion panel inside the box to diffuse the light and a recessed screen which helps contain and direct the light.

Another consideration is that you can buy softboxes and strip lights in many more sizes and shapes, smaller and much larger, than the ones that Alien Bees sells. And if you want a round shape to your highlights there are screens made for attaching to softboxes. You can even add grids to softboxes for more light control which is not possible with octoboxes.

The major diference that does affect the lighting and images that you create is the lack of umbrella ribs in a softbox. Softboxes have a smooth, flat panel with no obstructions that can be placed very close to the subject for soft wrap around light.

Octoboxes, such as that sold by Alien Bees, have umbrella ribs which will show in your specular highlights. They also have a convex front surface which spills light in all directions.

Even though the Alien Bees website compares their octobox to a softbox, it's more like an umbrella without the clear advantages of real light control that a softbox offers.

If you want a softbox buy a softbox and look t Chimera and Photoflex. If you really do want an umbrella then get an umbrella.

While the visible ribs and convex surface may be a problem with the alien bees kit (I couldn't say as i've never used the brand), I should chip in that they aren't problems in any of the Bowens or Elinchrom octagonal softboxes that i've used - their surfaces are flat like the square softboxes and they assemble like a regular softbox not an umbrella.

I use both octagonal and square sofboxes in my work and there's very little difference. I use the square ones to light backdrops as I like the corner-to-corner coverage they give, and I use the octa's for key lighting as I like the round(ish) catchlights and also the fact that the diffuser panel can be removed to create a beauty-dish style reflector.

I'd say don't limit yourself to the alien bees kit if you can get third party gear that's compatible or can easily convert another manufacturer's equipment to fit. Make sure the softbox you pick is good quality (durable as well as producing even light), and is also the right size & shape for what you will be using it for. I also use large rectangular softboxes for full-length shots and honestly I don't know how I ever manager without them.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This is an old thread but it came up when I was looking for information so I'm going to comment that Brooks Short is clearly confusing shoot through umbrellas with octaboxes. The octaboxes that AlienBees and others provide have flat diffusion panels. They are not convex like an umbrella. There is very little difference between an octabox and a softbox except for the shape. As for ribs there are no ribs in between the strobe and the panel on the 'normal' alienbee softbox or octaboxes. The more-expensive folding versions of both softbox and octabox (which do accept grids, but maybe weren't out when Brooks commented) have a few ribs very close to the strobe and before the internal baffle. While I'm sure they have *some* effect, it's likely significantly less than you'd see with a shoot through umbrella