A new twist to Nikon "grey" market: software "region"

walterh

Hello I never could understand how short sighted Nikon can be in the world wide

market of modern times by setting up local markets. The confusion (like

different rules for warranty of lenses versus bodies) is now expanded into the

software sector.

I recently bought Nikon camera control pro. Considering the rather poor standing

of Nikon software I did not really expect more from this software than I got.

The user interface (There is only one more thing besides the user interface is

there: sending a few codes to the camera?) is rather simplistic. Never mind the

quality of the software I was getting the 1.0 version.

I have to tell you that I bought the software from a local dealer in Germany

where I work. I did get the English version not a German version because this

was the only available version at the time. That was fine with me because the

computer is going to be used by an international mix of people.

Now trying to update the software I found only the German 1.1.1 version on the

Nikon.de site. This version could not be used for updating because of language

conflict. Ok I understand this problem so let us see if we can find an Englich

version :-) At the Nikon USA web pages I found the English version.

Unfortunately I could not install this version because of a "region" conflict.

As a paying customer things like this let me think twice if I am in the market

again if I will buy products from a localized subsidiary of a world wide company

that pushes their customers around.

I understand that there may be different prices for different offers of warranty

depending on local laws or traditions but Nikon really goes to extremes that I

am not willing to accept.

I completely agree with you. That's something similar in Spain, with the official Nikon dealer called Finicon.

First of all, in their webpage you can't download software as you would be able from the US or UK page, you must be registered with a Finicon serial number product, so when I have to download any software (e.g. Nikon View, manuals, etc.) I do it from the UK page, so I can't download them in spanish. Moreover, you can't access to other contents in their webpage. I personally bought my D70s from a local dealer, so I was supposed to have a valid s/n to be able to register in their page, but their server didn't let me register. I don't know exactly which was the reason, whether the shop sold me a "grey" camera or there is a problem in Finicon's server, but I decided I didn't want to deal more with these kind of "organization", so if the shop sold me a "grey" camera, I may preffer it from one from the spanish official dealer.

I don't know exactly how much more does Nikon earn by using these methods, but they should rethink their strategies about regional dealers if they want to mantain their reputation.

Walter.

Nikon inc. do have a serius problem here. I think the service provided to Nikon costumers should be the same worldwide.

Recently I had to vait for the boxed version of NX, Nikon europe, insted of having the possibility to download it, Nikon USA.

Hopefully they will acknowledge that their customers do use the Internet and get irriteded over locally lacks of service/possibilities.

LISTEN TO THIS NIKON!

Jens Frederiksen

On the Nikon website Nikonusa I see no PDF files for camera manuals for cameras no longer supported such as the Nikon F-F4, FM series etc. Other companies have online copies of their old manuals. I see this as a way to help those who still use the film cameras that built Nikon into the company it is today. How much could it cost to store these manuals in PDF format. Since others seem give this support it shows the lack of willingness of Nikon to assist their customers.

> At the Nikon USA web pages I found the English version. Unfortunately I could not install this version because of a "region" conflict.

I'm in Germany, too, and deliberatly installed Nikon View and Capture in English because I couldn't stand the German translation. Doing this I found out that there are two English versions, US and UK, which don't mix when upgrading. So, if upgrading with the US version doesn't work for you, try the UK web site ...

Andreas

Shun yes I did send Nikon an email. I am certain I will get a response because the German support is always trying to help. I did have a similar problem a while ago where I needed an English version of software. I believe it was for a scanner. At the time I suggested to make an international version available on the German www pages. I got a friendly but evasive response. At the time I was able to download the English version from the US site. Now this "hole" seems to be plugged^^.

I am certain there will be some solution (e.g. the dealer has to take the product back)at some time after ping-pong emails. I just hate to spend my professional working time on problems like this. My time on the job cost a lot so in the future I will search for solutions without stupid problems, even if this cost a little more or if I have to change brands.

Sounds like a company which is short on money. But also I always felt Nikon did what it liked regardless of what people asked them, and it is shocking to see that attitude persisting in this modern age. May be the company needs change in few directors or so to make the company more customer friendly.