Gitzo 1325 tripod

frank_dzambic

Looking at all the various reviews and comments about the Gitzo 1325 carbon

fibre tripod, I'm left with a couple of questions. While it seems to be the

overwhelmingly popular choice for heavy lens support I seem to have picked up

on a couple of potential quirks in my research.

I've seen people mention that the legs twist, and the newer Gitzos have an anti-

twist design. I think it occurs when loosening the (twist) leg locks, and the

leg twists rather than the lock, but I'm not quite clear on that. Is it a real

problem? I also read somewhere that the rings have to be released in a

particular order if you want to adjust the height of a leg once it's extended,

and it can be extremely tricky to do it just right, otherwise everything just

locks up. Any truth to that?

It seems funny to have such serious design issues in a tripod that seems to be

held in such high regard, but I guess I'd rather know before I buy one than

after. Especially since I'll have to buy it sight unseen.

Also, any rumours (or truth to the rumours) that this model will be replaced

soon with a model that has "anti-twist" legs? And does anybody have a

definitive answer as to whether or not a center column can be added to this

model in the future if necessary?

Any other comments also appreciated.

Thanks.

You do have to make sure the lock rings are tight, and to keep the upper ring (controlling

the middle leg section) tighter than the lower ring (controlling the bottom leg section)

when adjusting the extension of the bottom section. If the lower lock is very tight and the

upper lock isn't, you'll rotate the middle and bottom leg sections when you try to unlock

the bottom. Avoiding this problem is simple, not "extremely tricky" (just keep the upper

lock tighter than the lower one), and I've never had anything like a "lock up".

The twist locks are not as easy to use as a lever system. On the other hand, they don't

snag branches and get spontaneously unlocked when walking through woods, they seem

just about bulletproof, and if you get gunk in them you can field-strip and clean them

yourself.

Since you can remove the center head-mounting ring from the leg hub and replace it, yes,

you can add a center section with a column. Or a leveling base, which I've done.

The G-1325 does not have the latest, anti-twist leg locks. Perhaps a 13xx tripod with this feature will be introduced soon. However, I do not find this to be a problem. The leg to which the collar screws may twist if the next collar up is not tightened properly. The immediate solution is to tighten the upper collar before proceeding. It only takes 1/4 turn from loose to tight with Gitzo collars, and they don't jam.

The "foolproof" procedure is to extend the legs from the top down. That way, you grasp the upper joint to keep it from turning when you extend and lock the next section. In practice, it's easier to extend the legs from the bottom up, and just make sure all the collars are tight before you start. In the "foolproof" procedure, you typically end up with the head of the tripod point toward the ground as you work. I prefer to keep the expensive end pointing up. You will find it preferable to always extend the smallest section, to keep the screw collar out of the dirt/sand.

The G-1325 has a removeable center plate, making it easy to add a column, geared or rapid, in the future. You can get a CF column, or use a cheaper aluminum column if you wish. I have long and short rapid columns, but generally use the G-1321 leveling head instead, or a 75mm ball adapter for video. With the short column, you can spread the legs flat to get close to the ground.

I have a G-1340, which is the same tripod in aluminum, which I use whenever I need a stiffer tripod than my usual carry - a G-1227 CF. If I had only one tripod, I would buy the G-1325.

Gitzo has replaced their entire CF line-up, including the 1325. The 13xx series is replaced with the 35xx series and features several important upgrades: ALR (anti-leg rotation), 6x CF, and new stronger twist locks (called G-locks). All the new tripods are now stronger (load capacities have increased by about 50% on the 35xx series), lighter, and faster than their predecessors. The new tripods will be introduced in February.

Gitzo sells both a short center column and a long column for the 1325.

Cheers,

Wow, excellent info everybody. Thanks!

Stephen, did you see a news release somewhere that definitely confirms an updated 1325 coming out in February? The current leg locks don't sound bad from what everyone said above, but 50% more capacity and lighter weight sound appealing enough to wait 2 months. I can't find anything definitive on Gitzo's website though.