Digilux-3 + 4/3rds adapter + Contax SLR Lens ?

I have the Leica M, and the Contax SLR systems. Wonder if this might be a good

idea ? I already have several C/Y Prime lens, and would consider getting the

Digilux-3 and an adapter. And, yes, I am aware of the different "experience" of

a DSLR, rather than an Rangefinder. For shorter focal lengths, and given the OIS

in the Digilux, will the pictures be comparable to using an M8 ?

While I wouldn't discourage buying this specific camera, buying it hoping for results similar to those in the M8 would be misguided. The Digilux is a camera designed and produced by Panasonic, and will have invariably different results from the M8 due to a much different sensor design. (Despite Leica's claimed "tweaks" on these and other cameras)

According to Popular Photography's review, the 14-50 lens is designed by Leica in Solms, but manufactured by Panasonic. So it's a Leica in more than name. But it is certainly designed around a somewhat lower manufacturing precision than Solms can offer. But, they did think highly of the lens. (But Pop Photo likes everything...)

The lens focal length is doubled when you use it with the Digilux 3 so your your Contax lens is not very useful IMHO. If you really want to use your Contax SLR lenses I would get a Canon 5d with Contax/EOS adapter and have fun with them. I have an Olympus E500 4/3rds camera though I enjoy using it I'm not sure how viable is the 4/3rds format in the future. leica came out and said the Digilux 3 is the Leica CL line of yesteryear and they intend it to be positioned below the DMR and M8 quality wise.

I would bet you $3 that Panasonic designed it. It was previously stated in this forum that Asahi camera had an article regarding the Panasonic designers of the lens. In the past, when I've really pressed panasonic employees about the "leica" lenses on their video and digital cameras they admit that they are r&d'd by Panasonic and "rubberstamped" by Leica.

<p>The reviews of the new Olympus E-400 seem to be of a consensus that it's a better

camera with a much brighter viewfinder, as it does not split the light off to a secondary

'live view' sensor. Even the cheap kit lenses seem to <a href="http://

www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE400/"> perform better than the Canon/Nikon

equivalents</a> </p>

<p>As the E-400 is OM-1 ( i.e. leica M ) sized, if they came up with a 20 f/2.8 pancake

lens, I suspect it would appeal to a lot more people.</p>

<p>Hopefully things will be even more interesting after PMA: Already known is that next

April a <a href="http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/leica_d_lens/

fixed_focal_length_lens.html"> Lumix/Leica 25 f/1.4 fast standard lens </a> will be

available. </p>

<p> At least it's a contender as stop gap until the M8... issues are resolved</p>