70-200mm/4 IS

tim_kong

based on the reviews I checked, they have a very minimal difference with comes to the image quality but the IS version is much faster than the non-IS version plus it also gives you the ability to lessesn image blur even without the use of tri-pod. So in short if you have the budget, go for the IS version. But if you have limited budget, go for the non-IS version and get yourself a tri-pod.

based on the reviews I checked, they have a very minimal difference with comes to the image quality but the IS version is much faster than the non-IS version plus it also gives you the ability to lessesn image blur even without the use of tri-pod. So in short if you have the budget, go for the IS version. But if you have limited budget, go for the non-IS version and get yourself a tri-pod.

I do not have the non-IS version but I do compare it against the 200/f2.8 and 180/f3.5 prime lenses on 5D (on tripod with IS switched off). The 70-200/f4 IS equals to 200/f2.8 at equivalent aperture and slightly better than 180/f3.5 for distant objects (buildings). However for close objects (newspaper), the 180/f3.5 wins with a significant margin.

The 70-200/f4 IS also holds it quality very well with the Canon 1.4X. I compare it with the 300/f4 IS. At f11 (2 stops down the max aperture) the combination equals the 300/f4 in sharpness and contrast, but does show some CA (red fringing) at extreme edge. This CA is absent from both 200/f2.8 and 180/f3.5 with 1.4X.

I found with my 70-200 f/4 (non-IS) that I was not able to handhold the camera and achieve the sharpness the lens was capable of. On a tripod the results were very sharp indeed. Handheld shots always showed a little blur due to camera shake. This meant smaller prints and less cropping was available. If you are going to be shoting handheld and can afford it I would recommend the IS version.

I have IS version and I found that shots taken indoor with IS switched on are significantly better than same shots taken with IS switched off, e.g., cloth texture would show up clearly with IS switched on. Thus, contrast is much better due to IS. Also for people photography it is not always practical to use a tripod so I find IS very useful in such situations.

<p><a href="http://www.outbackphoto.com/">Digital Outback Photo</a> got a copy of

the IS version and liked it a lot - they report excellent optical quality.

<p>The answer to the "is it worth it" question is one that you'll have to figure out. It is pretty

much entirely a question of whether the IS feature is worth the extra cost for the sort of

photography you do. (There is little question that the IS works as advertised.)</p>

Robert

Can you explain what you mean by:

"the IS version is much faster than the non-IS version"

They are both f4, so you can't be refering to that. They both have a ring USM so I'd be quite surprised if the speed of focusing was much different, since the non-IS lens has pretty fast focusing. Other than that I can't figure out what else you could trying to say.

I am using the non-IS version right now. Though I am happy with the performance of the lens in terms of speed and IQ, I also came up with a lot of "blurred" shots, most likely due to camera shake, when taken without tripod. I have not used any IS lens before so I just wanted to know how the lens IQ compare to the non-IS version. If its comparable, I would certainly get it. Thanks again for your helpful advise.

Tim,

I don't have the old 70-200 f4L now. But the new 70-200 f4 IS I have now is very sharp. It's the sharpest 70-200 I ever bought, including 4 copies of 70-200 f2.8 IS and one copy of 70-200 f4L. I'd definitely recommend it, unless you already have a very sharp 70-200 f4L and you always shoot with a heavy tripod (so you don't need IS.)

Eric.