Nike-on / Nick-on

adw

My Japanese ex-girlfriend always insisted that it

was pronounced "Knee-con" . Who am I to argue ?

Check out 'manual and rangefinder' forum at nikonians.org

where this topic has been raised many, many times.

I call it: "Great Pictures".

/Clay2

I live in Asia (Taiwan) and prefer to pronounce it the Japanese way rather than the popular Western way or the Chinese rendering.

You could always call Nikon USA or some other branch office and listen to their greeting if you want to find out how "they" pronounce it.

I'm fine with people calling it "nai-kon" or "nick-on" or "nee-cong", so long as I know what you're talking about...which means not pronouncing it like "can-on"

Quoting from http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/index.htm

"The name "Nikkormat" ? Oh, our version is, the name "Nikomat", sounds like "Ikomat" in Japan where it is a trade name of Zeiss Ikon, Germany. Thus, Nikon subsituted the name "Nikkormat" in some foreign countries to avoid problem of infringement of the trademark. Have you heard of the name "Nikkor" which engraved on Nikon F ? In fact, the name "Nikon" was once a legal claim from Zeiss Ikon that it is not supposed to be used on camera bodies, so the name "Nikkor" was used instead for some of the Nikon's products in some countries in Europe during those early years.