okay im ready to buy, 500elm vs. 500elx vs. 553elx. what to buy and why?

ben_taylor3

ive been searching for a camera to buy, and i know i want a hassy' and i do

like the idea of a motor driven one, im just wondering, besides the fact that

553 takes double a's and the 500 takes rechargables, what are the major

differences between them, i shoot mainly portrait and fashion work, so it will

be a studio camera for the most part, i was just looking for a few

recomendations for a place to start. thanks guys.

500 EL: plain old workhorse;

500 EL/M: the same but with user interchangeable screens;

500 ELX: added large mirror for non-vignetting viewfinder image with longer focal length and flash-TTL-metering;

553 ELX: uses AA batteries instead of NiCd;

555 ELD: adds contacts for digital backs

Remarks: the interior coating was improved several times over the decades. Instead of NiCd batteries you can use same size NiMH-batteries or use via adapter things like 9V-block batteries or 6V Li etc.

If you work in the studio you can use an external power supply. either the Hasselblad one which is hard to get or make one yourself (very easy, plugs into the camera's side socket).

Choose the camera based on it's condition. There are many 500 EL-cameras out there that have had a hard life.

Ulrik

I've only used the 500 EL/M so I can't really comment on the other models. I bought a used

500 EL/M from KEH a few years ago. There are some real bargins on quality 500 EL family

cameras right now. I picked up mine in EX+ condition for a song. The first thing I did was

buy a battery adapter so I could avoid the old NiCADs, (even though my EL/M was supplied

with the NiCAD and charger). I have use my EL/M in the studio and my 500 CM for the

outdoors. As mentioned in another post, I think condition would be a key selection criteria.

I have been using a 500EL for a while now, and really enjoy it. I picked it up for a bargain price, and was enjoying so much that I considered trading up to a 553, but was quite surprised at the extra noise associated with the gliding mirror in the later model, and decided to stick with the silky smooth 500EL.

Just something to consider, I hadn't read that anywhere else, but considered it enough of a drawback to stick with the older Blad. I would say a 500 ELM would be a better camera, with the interchangeable screens.