CS2.

I rarely stitch them together only if I wish MFPano because I usually use my

Noblex135 for pano.

After years now, I am considering to switch from a PC to an Apple computer

(bad/expensive idea?).

I am thinking about two options.

1. iMac Intel 20?or 24?,2GB RAM( 3GB option in the future when 2GB chips get

cheaper).

Cons: Max 3GB and have no way to add another internal HD for PS scratch.

Eventually I can sell one of two monitors I have.

a) In case, can an ext firewire800 HD help for PS-scratch?

b) Can I keep on my nikon 8000 scanner running winXP with Bootcamp on an

Intel-iMac?

(I cannot find a Nikon 8000 driver that runs under the new Intel Mac!).

2. MacPro Basic with 2GB ram, with his expanse possibility.

I already have two monitors (20?wide + 19?).

a) Can I use only Sata2 HD on it? IDE and Sata1 too, are not ok?

b) Will I find FB-dimm RAM more cheaply tomorrow?

I have to use 4 identical size Ram chips on it (i.e. 4x512 or 4x1GB) to make

the most from the Hardware, right?

c) Again, can I run WinXP (not XP64) for the Nikonscan driver on a MacPro?

I am not a rich guy and not even earn money from my slides; rather I am a

demanding Photo amateur.

Please help me realize, (founded on your skill and experience) if option 1 is

definitely more than adequate for my needs (I like the all in one design)?

or best, I have to jump to option 2 ,more expensive, but maybe best value in

the long run .

PS: Sorry, I know my English is awful but I often found this forum so useful?

Thanks a lot in advance for any opinion.

>>>switch from a PC to an Apple computer (bad/expensive idea?):

Apple is generally more expensive. In my experience, you pay additional for the stability

of the operating system and the functionality of the OS interface. Some people say Macs

are 'easier', but I would suggest that they are just 'different' from the Windows OS and you

may love it or hate it.

>>>1. iMac Intel 20?or 24?,2GB RAM( 3GB option in the future when 2GB chips get

cheaper). Cons: Max 3GB and have no way to add another internal HD for PS scratch.

Eventually I can sell one of two monitors I have. a) In case, can an ext firewire800 HD help

for PS-scratch?

If you are doing large photographs, get the largest good display that you can afford. I use

a PowerMac G5 with 2GB of RAM for video editing and Photoshop files (often

silmultaneously) and find that is is just enough to get by. I would not recommend any less

than 2GB, but you will probably be just fine with only 2GB RAM. You can use an external

hard-drive for PS scratch, but BE CAREFUL with external drives - I have had more than one

external drive fail on me. Backup your most important image files to DVD and/or another

drive. If an iMac is closer to your budget, 2GB of RAM, 24" display, and an external hard

drive will suit you very well.

>>>b) Can I keep on my nikon 8000 scanner running winXP with Bootcamp on an Intel-

iMac? (I cannot find a Nikon 8000 driver that runs under the new Intel Mac!).

I do believe you will be able to run winXP with bootcamp, but someone else may have

actual experience and can give an informed opinion. See:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

>>>2. MacPro Basic with 2GB ram, with his expanse possibility. I already have two

monitors (20?wide + 19?).

MacPro 'basic' with 2GB ram is going to be a very capeable machine for you -plus you can

expand it in the future. My dad added two 500gb internal Sata 2 drives and striped them

in a RAID 1 array to back up his photographs. If one fails, the other will survive and

preserve the data. The 20" and 19" monitors you already have may work for now, and you

can upgrade them at some point in the future when $$$ allows.

>>>a) Can I use only Sata2 HD on it? IDE and Sata1 too, are not ok?

Sata is required for the internal drive bays on the Mac Pro - not sure if Sata 2 is required,

however. http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

>>>b) Will I find FB-dimm RAM more cheaply tomorrow? I have to use 4 identical size

Ram chips on it (i.e. 4x512 or 4x1GB) to make the most from the Hardware, right?

You must install RAM in pairs. Try: www.crucial.com to help select the pairs of memory

that you would need. Memory is cheaper now than it has ever been. 2GB should do you

just fine for the time being. Use the supplied 2x512 from Apple, then buy separate set of

less expensive 2x512mb and install yourself.

>>>c) Again, can I run WinXP (not XP64) for the Nikonscan driver on a MacPro?

I have not done this, but in theory, yes.

Good luck~!

-Barry

First up, Macs are not more expensive than equivalent PCs unless you build our own PC from components. And in my book it is worth it to change over from a PC to a Mac (which I will do once I decide to get a new machine to replace my PC but I'm in no rush).

You can put IDE/ATA drives in external enclosures. They can connect via USB or FireWire.

You don't need a Mac Pro. They are overkill for someone like you. That 'Pro' name says it all. You're spending more money for a bigger machine that takes up more space. An iMac is compact, quiet, straightforward.

If you decide to buy a Mac, don't do it until you really need a better computer. If your PC is a good one then keep it for a few years and then buy the iMac (or Mac Pro...). It is a waste of money to upgrade too quickly. Computers should last you a few years at least.

Mac's aren't expensive. Good PC's can cost the same or even more. It's just that Apple

don't make cheap and nasty. It's very easy to build yourself a cheap PC from components (I

have built 100's over the years), and no matter how much care you take selecting parts

and putting it all together, the quality of the finished item relies on factors you cannot

control.

I was recently looking at the new MacBookPro, and considering what you get for your

money. Because I work for IBM, I'm surrounded by Thinkpads at work. So, I decided to do

some research into what TP compares to the MBP, and I found the IBM Thinkpad Z60

series. This machine stacks well against the MBP because the two machines are similarly

featured (and share much of the same hardware), they are the best in their field (the

Thinkpad is one of the most reliable and best built PC laptops ever), and have more or less

the same price tag. After looking very carefully, my opinion is that the MBP just pips the TP

at the post based on the specs, (MBP's are slightly better for the money).

However - I cannot afford either, so I'm instead my next machine is probably going to be

the 20" iMac. If you don't need the portability (I don't), the 20" iMac is probably the best

value in the entire Apple range. :-)

Massimo

I have just upgraded my old G4 system to a MacPro, I seriously considered the Imac 24"

and I'm sure it would be just fine but the flexibility and option of the MacPro swung it. I

have gone for 2GB to begin with and it works fine but I would like to move upto 4GB when

I can afford to.

I have the coolscan 9000 and Nikon Scan works fine on my MacPro, I don't know whether it

is native or not but it seems to work pretty quick.

I switched to Macs from PCs about 5 years ago and have not regretted the decision once.

My G4 ran perfectly for 5years and is still going strong as a family computer, no crashes,

no issues at all. My PCs needed changing every 18months and were hassle - I know its

probably because I don't know how to manage a PC. My work laptop has no problems but

I don't see why I should need to understand computers intimately, I just want to work

photoshop and for this the Mac is great.

Regards

Tapas