400D new or 20D second hand (with 40.000 images)

carlos_borges

Hello.

I decide to go digital and now I have the chance to buy one of this two sets,

a 400D new and a 20D second hand, one owner with 40.000 images taken. The price

is about the same (800 EUR for the 400D kit with lens(18-50) and warrantee, 750

EUR for the 20D with 512 CF card without). I like big finders and good feel in

hands. Megapixels are not an issue here.

Which one would you take ? Thank you.

While the 20D shutter is rumoured to be rated at 100,000 actuation's there appears to be quite a few that go out around 50,000. That will cost you $300 to replace so I think the 400 is the better option, it will come with a full warranty and you get useful features like the large LCD panel and auto-sensor cleaning thrown in.

--Peter

IF the choice was simply between a new 400D vs a used 20D, and the differences don't matter to you (like buffer size), I would go for the new 400D. However, both a 512 MB card and the 18-50 would be relatively useless to me, so I would say neither of those deals is a bargain.

Well, you listed that a good finder and good feel is what you like. Then that pretty much should be screaming out 20D. 400D is too small if you are used to a normal sized canon SLR. The 20D definitely feels better in my hands. The 400D also doesn't have a real pentaprism. It uses a penta mirror. So the viewfinder on the 20D is also better.

The 20D is a better camera, build,ergonomics,it's just better. It's rated at 100,000 shutter bangs, so even with 40,000 already on it, it should have more shots left in it than the Rebel which is rated at 50,000.Unless you really think 1.8 MP differance in the sensors is gonna blow you away (it won't)the only other factor to consider would be the warranty. If I were in your position, I'd take the 20D over any Rebel, any time. Good Luck.

"I like big finders and good feel in hands."

Then you may not like the 400D, which is tiny. Ergonomics do count. I once used my friend's 400D to shoot for about only 1 hour, and honest to God, my middle finger was in pain afterwards because of the bad fit on the grip. I have semi-large hands, but not huge. My Canon G6 feels better to be honest. But that's me, so you should go try it out!

That being said, the 400D is probably the better deal. Too much $ for the 20D. It also depends what you shoot. I use manual mode a lot and find it cumbersome to change shutter and aperture with the same dial like on the 400D. Bottom line is that they both produce great images. Get the one that you feel better working with, but at a reasonable price.

People who say ergonomics won't help you take a better picture are right, but I'll say that if you shoot a lot, ergonomics are HUGELY important.

Bogdan

I have actually spent a lot of time researching used 20D's and the deal you speak of is NO deal. I have seen countless used 20D's for less than 700 EUR...and none of them had any more than 5000 shutter actuations. I myself recently purchased one used, in pristine condition, with the 18-55mm lens, all original accessories (in box) as well as a 512 CF for $870 US (~672 EUR). It had about 2000 shutter actuations. The difference in body size and make were the two biggest factors that made me choose the 20D over the Rebel XTi (400D). I have fairly large hands and found the 400D rather uncomfortable. IMHO, spend a little more time and score a good used 20D. Good luck!