Is the upgrade from the 30D to the 5D worth a good lens?

ester

Hi everyone,

I have the 30D and was going to upgrade to the 5D this weekend but I have all

of a sudden fallen in love with my sigma 10-20mm 4.0 (the digital one) and now

I am being to wonder. I know its unorthodox but the lens is actually

wonderfully suited to childrens photography. But I dont use it everytime I

shoot so...its not my regular lens. I cant justify two cameras so I would

need to sell the 30D but that would mean losing the lens.

Exactly how much better is the 5D? I'm a childrens photographer and am working

my way to going professional. So obviously the most important thing I need

from a camera is its ability to properly focus on wiggly targets at wide aps.

So what do you all think?

Thank you in advance and best wishes

Ester

Ester,

It all depends on your stock of lenses. If you don't have any EF-S lens yet, it's more likely to switch to the 5D, especially if you want to turn pro.

The 10-22 with the 30D is about 16-35 in 35mm equivalent.

I dont know a bout the price of the 10-22 but by selling the 30D you may invest into a 5D + 17-40 f4 L for a not really big difference (on top).

Budget is one of our worse ennemy but if you want to pull the $$ out of your it's worth to spend the cash where it could last.

Personally i'm shooting with a 30D and don't have any issue with focussing...

And yeah, the FF give you more flexibility and creativity.

The 5D gives an amazing smooth feel that I haven't seen on other cameras - bigger pixels

at play here I think.

The depth of field (if you want less depth of field that is) is better.

Obviously you will be able to make giant enlargements.

How much do you love that lense? Add the multiplication factor of the 30D and you are

basically taking about a sigma version of the 17-40/4L on the full frame 5D (sigma is 16

-32, close enough), or you could try the 16-35/2.8L for quite a bit more money.

The big thing is, is you need to sell the 30D to get the 5D, do you have enough money to

replace the the sigma with a FF equivalent?

good luck,

I don't mean to denigrate the Sigma, but what makes it so uniquely special as to make it wonderfully suited to children's photography? I spent several hours today shooting my kids, their cousins and the dog, all running about the yard or playing inside with my 5D and 24-105L combination. The 17-40L is usually too wide, and only came out to capture everyone at the dinner table. As I don't own the 30D with Sigma combination, I can't provide a comparison with my 5D, but I can tell you that the 5D and 24-105 combo is terrific for children's photography.

Hiya, I think the problem is that I cant afford a new lens and the 5D and I like using the wide angle lens to add a level of creativity to my photos. I think maybe my best bet is to get the 5D (which I desperately want, the clarity and bokeh are amazing) and patiently wait till I can afford either the 30 or 35mm. Thanks everyone.

I would think it is worth it to you as long as you are not doing wildlife or sports photography where the crop factor helps your reach.

Unless you already have one your 10-22 will need to be replaced by a full frame ultra wide to normal zoom, the 17-40 would probably be ideal if you use it for landscape or the 16-35 if you need the extra stop for candid shots of kids.

This link might help.

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/090_5D_vs_20D_Wide_Angle/a_5D_vs_20D_Wide_Angle_Shootout.html

Ester, your strategy is sound but is it really necessary to have more than 8 megapixels. 8 is not a joke. Most people in this world haven't seen a good photograph so if they saw a good 8 MP photo it would probably stop them in their tracks. 8 MP has more visible resoultion than our old 35mm cameras had (which had a respectable amount). If you sell your perfectly good familiar tool, to buy the so-called bigger better bad-assed camera will you see the difference? Will it be everything you think?

If you know you're pushing the utmost limits of your camera/lens combo then go get yourself a 5D (keep the 30D/lens as a back-up). A good carpenter has many tools for different kinds of jobs and so do photographers.

If you were to buy a race car would you put passenger tires for a volvo on it? Of course not! is the answer to that question. The one thing a 5D has over the 30 is that it is capable of showing more exacting detail out of an image, provided it has a lens that can show it. If you buy a 5D and use a consumer grade lens on it you will go as fast as any other volvo!

Hi Ester,

I upgraded from a 20D to a 5D with 24-105 lens, this is a fantastic combination that would be ideal for your photos of children, groups and environment shots at wider end and head and shoulders at 105 end.

This combination is used by a lot of Pro photogs in the UK for both weddings and schools/nursery portrait work.

You will notice a big differnce in the quality of image going to a full frame sensor so you need a full frame lens to complement it.

I cant justify two cameras so I would need to sell the 30D but that would mean losing the lens.

I'm a childrens photographer and am working my way to going professional. So obviously the most important thing I need from a camera is its ability to properly focus on wiggly targets at wide aps.

With great respect and speaking sincerely with 30 years putting food on the table from money out of our studio and location work:

do not even consider taking on any task with a fiscal arrangement with only one body in your kit bag.

Regards WW