Holga lens scratch

david_windsor

Im geting a holga with a glass lens.... Would scuffing its surface reduce

overall sharpness? Im not so interested in having the sharp quality... I will

definately shoot a rool before I apply the scuffing, but am curious regardless!

Perhaps acetate could be put in front of the lens, and I could scuff that?

For what it's worth, I have a Holga and a Woca, the Woca being the glass-lens-Holga. I just really can't tell a difference between them. The quality may not be what you want, but I don't think glass vs plastic will be the big difference.

A lot of the crappy quality comes from people leaving the film mask out- lets film shift out of the focal plane, causes light leaks, etc.- so you might try that. Otherwise, I'd go with the acetate-idea rather than trying to scratch up a lens.

I also suggest trying it out before making any modifications. For what it's worth, my plastic lens Holga is really quite sharp... I've found that with the plastic lenses you can use a Q-tip to wipe around the other parts of the lens and get some really swirly bokeh effects, or you can rub randomly over the entire lens and get a soft-focus look over the entire frame. I have no experience with the glass lenses, but I would think that you could do the same thing, but press a lot harder and you should get some change as a result.

- Randy

Larry,

Yes, I do all my own developing with the exeception of the odd roll or sheet of E-6 film. For what it's worth, I've never had any performance problems from my Holga; no light leaks, the back never pops off, the lens is reasonably sharp, etc. but I have had problems with older medium format cameras that I bought used.

- Randy