Happy man with a new Nikkor 70-200 VRII

juan_parm_nides

I feel like a child with new shoes (a spanish phrase). Just bought it today. I

am trying to buy a B+W 77mm filter to protect the lens. I have to buy it in

Barcelona (Casanova foto) because here in Canary Islands it is impossible to

find one. I have a hama htmc 77mm skylight 1A filter, but I do not like it. It

seems to me that I can see when the filter is on or off by hand. Not so good I

think. Also, I have a friend with the same lens and he do not use filter.

The same old questions. Anyway, very happy today. Cheers.

hi Juan ...

for the money those of us have spent on this lens (and other "pro" lenses), we should be happy :)

i own this lens and absolutely enjoy using it. it is fast, accurate, smooth, quiet, and has great bokeh. i use it mostly for sporting events, such as wrestling, basketball, and football; i also use it for street scene photos for those non-intrusive shots.

on top of it all, i use this lens hand-held.

(for reference: all 3 of my zooms, covering the range 17 through 200mm

are f2.8's)

regards, michael

I don't think Frank is talking about version 1 & 2 of the 70-200 VR, as there is indeed only 1 version so far. However, there is the difference between the 1st and 2nd (or even 3rd) generations of Nikon VR. For example, the original 80-400mm VR has the 1st version. Newer VR lenses have improved VR.

The 70-200's VR has the active option.

I don't believe in putting filters to protect expensive lenes. Call me crazy, but putting on a

$70 piece of glass on a $1500+ lens defeats the purpose of great glass. Okay, I do use

filters for effect like polarizer, but not for protection.

What do those of you do if you have a UV protective filter on then want to add a warming

or polarizer. Do you take off the protective filter or add another on top? I have just never

shot this way so I am curious.

Of course if you scratch the front element you're screwed.

Shots Happen!

A filter is a flat piece of glass. In these days they are not at all difficult to make even at $30, $50. I don't see why adding a $30 piece of flat glass would degrade your image by all that much, and I use all high-quality filters. If you still have any doubts, just do an A/B test with and without any UV filter and see whether you can see any difference. I can't.

The main problem with protective filters is when you shoot into a light source, such as the sun or some street lights in night shots. In those occasions, just remove the protective filter, especially if you can see ghosting.

When I was a teenager, once when I was changing lenses, a friend accidentally bumped into my elbow and I dropped that 135mm/f2.8. It hit the concrete pavement front first. The impact completely shattered the protective UV filter I had on it but there wasn't even a scratch on the lens.

• 2 years later...

<p>The VR II we can buy it at the end of year, i hope i can buy one. any way about Juan, i m very happy with you, no matter version 1 or 2 or 3. or 10. this 70-200 is nothing to say. It is legendary of sharp and every thing.</p>

<p>Any way, i wish nikon sale 70-300 f/2 and i think even $5000 i will get one. i see Suiko made 35-105... ( not sure about focal ) but f/2 it cost more than $2000</p>

<p>cheer Juan !</p>

• 7 months later...