Which lens for D80 ?

low light

Thinking of getting a D80 as my first digital camera. I have quite a few

lenses that I use with my Slr's which are 18-35 F3.5-4.5, 45 F2.8p, 50 F1.8,

85 F1.8 all Nikon,28-70 F2.8 and 105 F2.8 macro Sigma lenses. I was going to

get the body only for 542 GBP and just use these lenses but have heard good

reviews about the 18-70 kit lens. Should I go for the kit lens or will my

lenses be okay? Would love the 17-55 F2.8 but that's out of my price range.

Thanks!

Anthony, you already have a pretty decent set of lenses. I assume you Sigma lenses are AF ones, so all of them are compatible with the D80. I think you should be just fine getting a D80 body only, and add lenses later on as you see fit. For example, if you prefer wide, you might be interested in a 12-24 zoom for the D80.

Wow, you've got some good glass! Maybe a good wide angle lens and if you need a telephoto. Pretty good line up, but what are you shooting? Looks like you can do a lot with what you have, don't necessarily need to drop dough right this moment, I find it hard to contain myself too!

I already miss my 28-70 f/2.8 that I just shipped out yesterday. Funny thing is I sold it so it would get more use, I guess its just the fact that I can't reach into my bag and use it.

One thing that you'll get with the 18-70, is it make a nice walking around lens.

You have some very good lenses, but depending on the type of shooting you do, seems

like you'll be changing

lenses quite a bit. Your 18-35 may be a little short on the long end, and your 28-70 2.8

is not wide enough starting at 42mm.

With my D70, I use Nikon 18-70 DX and 70-200 VR lenses, and a 50 1.8 for low light

situations. So I'm covered from

27-300. A agree with Shun that the 12-24 would make a terrific addition on the wide

end. It's on my wish list.

And while the 18-70 can't be compared to 17-55 F2.8, it's got some pretty exotic glass

with 3 ED and 1 aspherical element. Also, it's an AF-S lens, so focusing is fast and quiet.

(My 24 2.8 is quite noisy in comparison).

As far as the D80: great choice. I can't wait to get my mitts on one, and I'll use my D70 as

a second body.

Too bad about the plastic lens mount on the D80's 18-135 kit lens. I was very

dissapointed to read about the mount. I can understand plastic mounts on the D40 & D50

kits lenses at their price points, but B&H is selling the 18-135 for 400 USD. Yikes! No

thank you. I'll stick with the 18-70 and I assume, Anthony, that is why you aren't

considering the D80 kit lens.

I'd agree with getting a feel for what the camera does with your current lenses before shopping for more.

And I'd strongly disagree with what I understand to be P. Greenspun's advice, to the extent that I correctly read the linked article to recommend to the "average family" that they begin with a $500 body (the D50) and then hang nearly $2000 in lenses on the end of it, some of them quite large. The "average families" I know don't want that kind of size, weight, or price tag.