First Senior Portrait Session

tonylarcombe

Just look at other websites to get ideas. It is very instyle where I live to do very tight crops of the face, and to tip the camera for some angled shots. With guys, they look good sitting casual, and leaning in a little tward the camera. Girls look good if you are higher than them, shooting somewhat down twards them. I never like to shoot uphill at them. I always try to do some of them smiling, and some serious, or just a soft smile. The moms typically like the smiling ones better. With the guys, it is especially cool not to smile... to look tough.

Mostly, try to get a feel for the student's personality. Some young people are more

comfortable than other in front of thee camera, and a pose that works fantastically for one

person will be terribly awkward for another.

If they seem to feel uncomfortable, simply move on to something they adjust to better.

Rather than trying to make them look like this or that, work with what they have to showcase

their best features.

Also ask them what they would like to do. The parents have a totaly different vision of how their "sweet baby" should look. Unfortunately they are also the ones paying.

I try to mix it up, do the shots for the parents first, and then let the kids cut loose for whatever they want to do.

At the end, the parents will pick the "standard" poses, and smiles, but the kids will get mom and dad to buy a few they like too.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GMEH">Here</a> is a thread with some links I posted a while back.<P>If the downloadable link is still active, and I remember correctly, it had a lot of nice posing ideas. If it's not, I'm sorry.

Mike