slides to prints?

The standard protocol for most labs nowadays is to digitally scan the transparency via a Fuji Frontier or similar machine and output onto standard RA-4 color paper. For whatever reason it sounds like they desaturated the image prior to printing even though you didn't ask for this. At any rate, yes you can ask them to do this in the future and it shouldn't be a problem. Many people have rather creative methods for doing this in Photoshop for optimal results, but it's out of my realm. I prefer good ole B+W film and paper! Check out the digital darkroom and do a "desaturation" search for a slew of discussions on this topic.

that's very interesting. going to do that search as soon as i'm done writing this. i prefer the standard b&w myself if i'm going for b&w, but this is a good method to know. i'm sure somewhere down the line i will have a color slide (does this apply to negative film as well?) that will suit this process perfectly. just not the bright and colorful flower pics they did accidentally. you have been most helpful, thanks again!