Advice on cities in Europe

thomas_hardy1

Hello,

My family is planning a trip to Europe for June 2007. We will be on a 7 night

cruise of the Mediterranean, and then possibly a few days in a couple of

cities. We can fly into Barcelona on Friday morning and then start the cruise

Saturday. (One day to just look around Barcelona)

The cruise ends the next Saturday of course. I really don?t have to be home

until the next Saturday after the cruise ends. The kids want to see London, and

we all would like to see Paris.

I?m assuming photo opportunities will be great as we visit the port cities, but

what would some of you well traveled folks suggest? Stay in Barcelona a little

while after the cruise, go to England, or Paris or a whirlwind tour of all

above? Can it be done without being too hectic?

I have many cameras? but I?m thinking of taking the dslr (canon 20D) to avoid

film hassles even though I love film. Maybe a film body as backup? I am a

little humble in the lens dept though, (28-135 IS, 50mm 1.8, and a kit zoom)

What would you suggest as far as a quality ?all around lens? for a maybe once

in a lifetime trip? Do many people even bother with film on international

travel?

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Barcelona's fine as cities go, though it isn't a place that most people will remember for the rest of their lives. If you like Gaudi's architecture its worth two or three days to cover the main examples in a perfectly pleasant ambiance. If you don't, then Europe has a lot more to offer.

As the previous poster indicates getting from London to Paris or vice versa is pretty easy though its best to book your train tickets in advance and make sure you get a tourist fare because like the short haul flights this is a service where the same product is sold at hugely different prices depending on the flexibilites you want.

But despite the convenience there's something sort of similar about the ambiance of Paris and London and the things you do there. If it were me I'd be looking for two centres rather more different. Unless you really want to do shopping and shows, I'd suggest Paris is a little more attractive than London overall, and given a totally free choice of what to pair with it, my first thoughts go to Venice as a totally unique experience. It's possible of course that you'll see that on the cruise- though scarcely more than an eyeful I suspect, in which case I'd suggest Rome both for the city itself and the quality and sheer age and significance of history you'll see there. If not Rome, then a couple of days in Amsterdam or maybe Bruges (Belgium) - which has preserved much of its old core and is delightfully colourful. And easy to reach from both Paris and London by train via Brussels.

<P>

London and Paris are big, cosmopolitan cities. I work in London and know central Paris fairly well. Of the two, Paris is more photogenic, in my opinion. It has more big, wide open spaces than London, more impressive monuments, big architecture, vistas... It's easy to get great photos in Paris.

<P>

Personally, I'd think about taking a train from Barcelona to the French border and hiring a car. From there, drive along the Med until you get to Arles. Arles is a sweet little town. If you like big landscape, don't miss the Grand Canyon of Verdun (east of Aix). Head north/east and see the Alps south of Switzerland. Hand your car in after 3-4 days and take a TGV (an express train that travels at 185mph) to Paris and spend 2-3 days there.

I did a Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona last June. Barcelona is a fun city. We walked it, but there's a "Hop On Hop Off" bus that makes a circuit of the city's sights. Some typical tourist snaps are here if you're really bored:

http://www.pbase.com/jpmccormac/europe

I'd suggest getting to Barcelona at least one day ahead of your departure date just to get used to the time change and any possible travel delays. You can see a lot of the city in one day (doubt the kiddies will be enthralled, however.)

I only took a P&S camera on this trip (Canon S80/28-105mm digital). I didn't want to be bogged down with an SLR/D-SLR. I didn't miss the weight and felt I got the postcard shots I wanted. This type of family trip negates serious photography for most people.

The two photography problems I've found with cruises are:

1. Your port stay is usually something like 10AM to 4PM which means you must do your shooting when the sun is directly overhead.

2. Most of the good photo-op sites near port will be littered with your fellow cruisers particularly if the ship has a capacity of more than 200.

If money is not an object, then Paris would be my choice. Although it is easy to get from Paris to London, if I was traveling with children (a thought which totally freaks me out!), I would choose one or the other and settle into one hotel for the week so that you don't spend a lot of time packing & unpacking and dragging kids & luggage thru airports and train stations. If you think you will be going back to Europe again as the children grow up, you might consider saving Paris/London until later and flying to Seville or Granada, renting a car and then driving to the other. Plus, there are other things you can see by car around these cities. I suspect that internal flights within Spain might have fewer security hassles than going to Paris or London. But, I haven't done a lot of flying within Europe in the last 5 years so take this last comment FWIW. Have fun.

I am hanging up on your "once in a lifetime' nonsense.

If it is just one shot: do enjoy it as best you can.

There is no gain in hustling up Barcelona, Paris and London plus countryside in between all in those 7 extra days. You would have much more fun staying in and around B; taking the train up the valley for a day or two and really smelling the place out.

But you would rather live fast just once in Europe. What will seing three big cities add to your life's meaning? Maybe just join a bus tour to Paris + London in Barcelona and enjoy the two metropolis in Spanish company? That would be great, to quick-view the sights through other's eyes.

A better waste of a great opportunity than to do it all alone.

And if fate wants you to go back: you will. So relax and do simple small steps into Europe; but who am I to "spoil" your once a life splurge into E? Have fun and sense!

I been to all cities that have been mention.

But since you are with your family and unless they are into photography I say travel light, the Canon 20D with 28-135 IS lens should be fine.

Be careful of a whirlwind tour as will find you can spending valuable vacation time packing, checking out the hotel, getting to your next destination and then un-packing. You could find yourself spending a 1/2 day or day getting to your next location. Do you have the time to do that?

I think it would be better to pick one place were your family will be happy. Do the reseach about what you can do there and even day trips. Paris, London and Barcelona have must do daytrips.

I spend a week in Barcelona, London and Paris and still there was things I did not find the time to do.

Bill

I just returned from a Western Med cruise: Barcelona, Marseille, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples. It is a whirlwind tour of some wonderful cities. While your photography is pretty much limited to broad daylight, there is much to see and photograph at every stop!

I was glad for an extra day on both ends of the cruise in Barcelona. I found the Gaudi sites wonderful, and a challenge to photograph! Just being able to wander a city in the evening, have some steaming Spanish hot chocolate and churros, made the trip!

You might consider going back to Rome and spending some extra time - you will get a quick orientation there on your one day in port, which you can use to plan another several days in city that has much to offer!

Have fun!

Thanks for replying all of you. After MUCH discussion, finally it looks like the cruise , a short stay in London and Paris before flying back is what's going to happen.

The "photography" is probably just going to be snapshots (as it always is on our family trips). I'll buy from Paula Chamlee if I want some good photography from that part of the world.

Or maybe I'll see Kah Kit Yoong's work in a gallery soon. I've never met an Internist who ever took more than 2-3 days off work, let alone 4 months to photograph. Look at her beautiful portfolio if have not yet seen it.

When the girls soon move on to college (they are not really kids) we'll probably go back. So yeah, I guess it's not really a once in a lifetime trip. It's not like we're on a family Apollo moon mission. (-:

Oh, any ideas about hotels in London and Paris. Where have you stayed in those cities and did you like it?

Again , Thanks

In Paris, id try and stay near the centre - ie near the pont neuf / chatlet. That way you can walk about at night easily when all the city is lit up and you can get places on the metro with minimal changes. In that area there is not too much cheap accomodation. There is a novotel near chatlet (expensive buisness style hotel) but a room seems to have a double bed and pull out sofa. Also there are things called citadines aparthotels which are more like apartments with your own cooker / sink dishwasher etc. - one near pont neuf and one near chatlet. Anyway, the important point is the central location rather than somewhere like l'etoile where go have to get a metro to go anywhere else.

I don't know about where to stay in london, but use oyster / travelcards for transport (rather than single underground tickets) and using busses means you get to see more stuff.

Hi Thomas,

Paris is, in my view, one of the best cities in the world (if not THE BEST)for photography. It has everything.

Not sure if someone has recommended already Philip Greenspun's photographers guide to Paris, here in photonet. You can get some ideas, but I think it should be taken with a huge grain of salt (particularly his recommendation of skiping the Marais, one of the loveliest neighbourhoods in Paris)

<a href="http://www.photo.net/travel/france/paris">here</a>

I recently updated the Paris gallery in my site

<a href="http://www.venividiphoto.com">VeniVidiPhoto</a>

Enjoy your trip !

I can recommend the Belloy Saint Germain hotel in Paris (stayed there in 2000 and 2002). It was part of the Best Western chain. It's the only Paris hotel I've stayed at, but I thought it was a good value, great location, safe and clean. Located on Saint Michel Blvd on the latin quarter border. Easy Metro access, and a short walk to Notre Dame, Luxemborg gardens, latin quarter. Had a fantastic restaurant/bar across the street called Buillon Racine. Enjoy your trip.

It is not so important to be right in the middle of Paris, I think it is better to be situated close to a Metro station. Paris is a very expensive city but there are bargains around. I stayed at Hotel Plessis in the Marais district, small clean rooms, well run, even have broadband internet access. A MEtro station is right outside. About 60 euros a night. I would suggest using venere.com when choosing hotels in Europe. HAve a look at hotels that have been voted 4 or 5 stars by reviewers then read the reviews. Don't bother buy a hotel breakfast. There will be a local boulangerie which sells divine bread products.

I know Barcelona, Paris, and London fairly well. Of the three, my advice would be to spend

your time in Paris. While Barcelona is quite nice to visit, it lacks the photographic abundance

Paris can offer you. Paris also wins out in terms of sights to see for the rest of your family.

Most kids won't forget the Eifel Tower but readily condemn Sagrada Familia to oblivion once

they leave Barcelona. London, in my humble opinion, isn't very interesting from a

photographic point of view - I'd skip it entirely unless there is something that inexplicably

draws you there.

I won't comment too much on destination or type of holiday. I like to see a more culture shock place so EU does not fit in, but the last visit for me was nice, I enjoy the hussle of busy Asia.

I like film, slide film. I am one of those pple who shoot no more than a roll a day. Inside use flash and/or high ISO, those behind a glass window forget using flash. Film you will be xrayed at airports unlike the USA I have heard EU says if they are not xrayed you are not getting onboard the plane, for me no problems, I had heaps of xray at attractions entry or airports incl once at checked baggage since I was trapped in EU at the August 06 event so all things had to be xrayed in checked baggage apart from my passport. I would just take one body. Perhaps a speedlight and a light tripod. I would not take the 28-125 and a kit lens since they kinda overlap each other, also 3 lenses is a bit much for a family holiday.

Hotels, not sure I stayed with friends or at a hostel. The nice thing is when travelling you have company so you don't feel too lonely having meals.

No sign of xray damage for film but its a personal call for film, it is easier with digital. For film you will need 2 bodies b/c one for fast and slow film. I say 2 film bodies or just 1 digital body. If the kids are old enof give them a point and shoot digital.

Yeah I say 1 lens the 28-1xx mmm one. Maybe skip the speedlight.

Keep it simple. Take a light tripod if you want for night but that might be too hard for your situation.

Its a tradeoff of going alone and going with others but then you get more company.

Top gear isn't gonna give you better quality, a faster f stop that is about it. Other than weight you down. For postcard shots you need to stop down anyway. A shame that a tripod may not be so friendly for your situation then you can get some nice night postcard shots. You have a digital camera so shoot RAW with a decent size mem card.

Ah, bella Roma! The Eternal City of caesars and the popes. Definitely see her if time and distance allows. Plenty of photographic opportunities abound in <i>the</i> most historic city in all of Europe, if not the world. The Vatican itself is one big museum. Just looking around, you can understand in a tangible way the immense influence the Catholic Church and the papacy had in the development of western civilisation. Can't beat the food or wine either!

Thomas does not mention Roma as an option though I agree with you, the Eternal City is

truly amazing. Despite having spent a lot of time in Italy, I always have time for Roma. Unlike

Paris & London, Roma is quite small and can be easily done on foot. The major sights can be

done in one hectic day, although I would recommend 2-3 days, would be quite adequate.

Neither Paris or London can be as comprehesively covered in such a short amount of time. If

you want to check out Roma drop me a line.

I think Rome is a stop on the cruise. (off topic) Just found out my daughters can go to France early this year as part of the student exchange program. We hosted a girl from France for two weeks a couple of months ago. My older daughter will usually try anything which even smells like an adventure. The little sister says she doesn't want to go. Probably thinks she'll miss something here. Oh well.

later

Regarding hotels -- I've often found tripadvisor.com to be a great sounding board. There are very few hotel properties in major, and even minor, locations that haven't been reviewed, and many will have reviews from 50+ visitors, listed from most recent to least. My wife and I have been traveling around Europe quite a bit since I got back from the desert in January; we've checked tripadvisor every time, and we've yet to go wrong on a hotel.

I have no idea if booking through them gives you the best deals, so I can't vouch for them as a booking service. But they're a great sounding board.