Do I have to give the deposit back?

caseychappell

I would not give her money back; I would however offer her a certificate for services equal to the value of the deposit amount. When she agreed to book you for her wedding, she understood that she was hiring you. She didn't enter into this arrangement blindly. She needed a photographer and she solicted you. In order to secure her date, you closed the date on your calendar which eliminated you from booking any new business. She had ample time to request a studio sitting for test shots to help her make an informed decision. A contract must include the following: offer and acceptance. When she agreed to hire you, she accepted the offer. I guarantee you that if you had not honored the contract on the 24th, you could well expect a lawsuit to come your way. If she wants to sue you, let a judge make the decision. She probably found out that "Uncle Billy Bob" can shoot it for her for free and now she wants to cut you out. For every Bridezilla there is a solution, especially for the most difficult ones. I'm not suggesting vindictiveness, but you did everything that you were supposed to do, where is her responsibility in this. In closing, I have had clients that needed to cancel 2 weeks out; at that time the full balance became due and I've offered them a certificate which is transferable in hopes that they can recover some of their money that way. One bride used the certificate to later host a party and the theme was "I Am Rid of His %$#...Let's Party". Everyone had a great time.