a decent proposal -- UPDATE

jeremy_center

This morning I bought a ticket to Paris. Thanks everyone for the input and

suggestions. Once I get my feet wet with this trip, I'll have plenty of

options for the next trip.

So... I will be there 12/25-1/1. Now the effort is to figure out what gear to

take. I shoot with a Canon 20D and I know I'll take the body (maybe the grip

for the extra battery) and definitely the 24-105L. I want to go light, and as

such, I'm considering whether to take the 10-22.

The question I'll have to answer is how to carry it with me. I want to travel

with a backpack only (and maybe a small bag for the gear). My current gear

(all the above plus 580EX and 70-300IS) I now carry in my Timbuk2 with a

Crumpler insert. It's a bit bulky and I'm not too fond of the idea of a

backpack and fully loaded TImbuk2.

Well... thanks again, everyone. Now it's on to the historical posts for

insight.

JC

Jeremy , I will also be in Paris from 12/30 to the night of 1/1. I have been there 3 times before, so I am mainly going for photography. I am taking a back up camera, as I was there 5 yrs ago, with a F4 that the shutter blew up on the first day of my trip. I ended up walking around Paris shooting photo with my sisters P&S Nikon. I was so mentally and emotionally scared that I am bringing not one, but 2 back up cameras. I plan on using a mini-trecker small backpack for walking around. I am hoping for snow on one day at least. Enjoy you trip.

Hello Jeremy, Paris for Christmas and the New Year sounds like a great trip.

The learning tab leads to photographers guide to Paris http://www.photo.net/travel/france/paris , which is how I found PN in the first place.

I would add one small item to your kit, a table top tripod. There is as much to capture at night as there is by day and the nights are going to be longer than the days.

One final tip, try to learn just a little French. It's amazing how much good will just trying will produce.

Here are some shots I took last year:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=493893

Regards. Pete

You will need to devote some consideration to your choice of transport. By far the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to move around in Paris is the underground (subway if you prefere), and I would strongly recommend you buying one of the special multi-trip combinations for turists (available at all stations). However this has the disadvantage that you go underground at, say, the Etoile to re-emerge at the Tour Eifel, and then under again to the Louvre, and so on. Thus so quickly reach the places you want to see but you risk missing the city all around them.

Some form of judicious compromise would be advisable, and if you have good legs you may use a city map to decide that two or three nearby stops (e.g. Concorde - Tuileries - Louvre - Hotel de Ville) can be seen by moving around them on foot. By all means DON'T make the mistake of assuming that you can see most of Paris on foot, and e.g. move from the Etoile to the Tour Eifel and then the Concorde etc. Your legs may support you, but it would be an enormous waste of time.

Unless you are on an extremely tight budget you shouldn't miss a trip on the Seine on one of the "bateau muches". The best trips start from the Alma Bridge (Pont de l' Alma). If weather and temperature permit, try to get a tour in the afternoon that will return at dusk.

Make plans for a LOT of night photos (high sensibility film, tripod/monopod, etc.) under artificial ligtht. Around the winter solstice it will be dark by 16h, and furthermore Paris gets really alive at night. Even outside of the Xmas seasons, central areas like the Champs Elysée are packed solid with traffic at 23h-24h, and during the holiday period this reaches its peak. Further, the XMas lights decorations are pretty spectacular and certainly worth a few (actually many) shots.

Wow... thanks for the insight. Here's what I have going for me:

1. I joined a gym a month or so ago, now quite a seredipitous decision as I just got the idea to go last week.

2. I know a small bit of french, but I intend to get some language CDs and put them on my ipod so i can practice before i leave.

3. I bought the Rick Steves guide so I think I'm pretty well hooked up.

Any thoughts on the following:

1. Storage for photos -- I have 3 2 GB CF cards, but I shoot RAW normally and that goes quick. I was thinking of buying a few more or some kind of hard-drive storage.

2. A walkaround bag -- I would like something that doesn't scream "there's a camera in this bag". I carry a discreet bag here so i should get something for there. The one I have is too big to carry around.

JC