430EX and Quantum Packs

jotr51

Hi...

I just acquired a Canon 430EX and want to use it with my Quantum battery 1 pack. I

bought a used MB2 module which is used with the 430EX. I USED to drill holes in my

flash doors to accomodate my module cords but it seems there are now 'locking plates'

so you don't have to damage the flash door. BUT the plate that came with the module

does not come close to fitting the 430. I assume it's the wrong one. Does anyone know if

there IS a Quantum locking plate for the 430ex? If not, how are you people using the

430EX with Quantum packs? Also, I don't see how these locking plates work since they

seem to block off the metal contacts in the flash door and how are you supposed to close

the door once the plate is in place? I'm confused about this whole set up obviously!

Maybe I'll just go back to using rechargeable NIMHs and not worry about it. Let me know

if you can solve this riddle.

MANY THANKS!

Frank Weir

frankweir@yahoo.com

Hi, I`ve not heard of anyone using Qpacks with a 430ex, but it may be happening. The packs are used in the sense of heavy use, I think you`ll be disapointed as the 430ex can`t cope with heavy use. I bought on as a backup & slave for my 550`s. as the recycling time was quicker we used it with a Karate tournament. as it was a national event we were booked for thought it would do the job. It cooked itself within an hour 3 hrs later did the same thing. that was using high powered NiMH`s. stick with the 550/580`s if that is you purpose . thats my opinion.

Frank, I use a 580EX all the time with a Quantum Turbo 2x2, no problems at all even after very intensive use, you just hook up the "CZ" cable from the battery to a dedicated socket on the side of the flash and of you go. However, from memory I don't think the 430EX has the same little port that the 580EX has. I could be wrong but I can't recall seeing anything, you should get the definitive answer though from Quantum's compatability charts on their web site.

Chris & Gary are referring to the high voltage Quantum Turbo units wich work great with flash units that have a high voltage port. Of course the 430EX does not, and so Frank is trying to use a 6 volt Quantum Battery 1 or 1+ with the AA battery replacement module.

I don't have an answer for you, Frank, but I thought I would try to clarify the responses above.

However, I found that the Battery 1+ would only recycle my Canon flash units very marginally quicker than NiMH AA's anyway. Personally, I thought it was a waste of money & weight. It lasts longer than rechargable AA's, but a spare set of them are far easier to carry than a Battery 1+. I found that for fast recycling of the 540EZ/550EX/580EX Canon's CP-E3 is a better unit than the Turbo for most users - lighter, cost's less, and is very nearly as fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for responding. I wrote Quantum and got a couple very helpful emails from them. Apparently the newest MB2 module uses a thumb-wheel operated flange that pushes out to hold the module in the 430 battery compartment. There is no need for the door contacts to connect with the module so they suggest using velcro just to hold the door down. That being said, I discovered that 15-minute NIMH chargers are very inexpensive (I bought one for 19 bucks) so I am going to just use a couple sets of rechargeables with the quick charger. A new MB2 costs in the neighborhood of $60.

Thanks again,

Frank Weir

• 7 months later...

I have used a 420ex for years with a quantum 1+ in heavy use with no problems. For me in glamour type photoshoots thats about a roll of film an hour for about 5 or six rolls. I used rubber bands to keep the adapter in the door. It worked fine and is still working.

I just got a 430ex, that how I found this thread.

I need to get an MB2 adapter. I hope this new locking plate thing works. I was ok with the rubber bands.