Filter {?} for Early 50mm Summilux

Correct. I have the second version which also takes 43mm filters, thread pitch I believe is 0.5. However a regular Hoya (0.75 thread pitch) also fits the lens, whereas I have two B+W 43mm filters, one of which fits the lens and the other one spins in the top. The number on the B+W box is 23185. Others have said that the B+W filter fits the lens, one of mine may be faulty.

I bought a current B+W 43mm for my (2nd version) Summilux. It fits, but the lens hood would not fit over it to clamp to the lens. I had to cut a groove in the filter to give the hood a place to clamp to--on the filter, rather than the lens. Just something to be aware of if you buy a B+W. I think the Leica filter is slim enough to allow the hood to seat all the way back to the lens itself. Pricey, though. Check KEH for one.

When the 50mm Summilux Asph LHSA edition (designed on the dies of the 1st and 2nd version Summilux of the 1960s with current glass) was released, this was a topic of discussion in this forum. The lens in question takes a 43mm filter, but the hood will not slip over most manufactures filters of this size. Leica's (actually, Leitz') filter was made so the rim fit under the reversible lens shade.

Leica doesn't make these filters any longer but I know DAG (www.dagcamera.com) still has some in stock. When I discovered the problem (early) I bought two of these filters (the second for a back-up).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I asked B+W/Schneider about this a few years ago. They confirmed that "The filter size suitable for the Leica 50 mm Summilux is the size 43 E (= thread 0,5 mm). This thread is manufactured especially for the Leica lenses, it is discontinuing but we have still some remaining quantity." The current catalogue at:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/filter/bw_filter_programm_e.pdf

lists both 43 x 0.5 and 43 x 0.75 (there's a wider range in the latter). I've used a standard Hoya 43 on a 50 'lux and it fits perfectly (except for not allowing the hood to be fitted at the same time for the reason given above). The thread pitch is not specified on the packaging, but the Hoya catalogue at:

http://www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf

indicates it's 0.75mm (so maybe it shouldn't fit, but it does!)

You need a 43mm Leica (Leitz) filter, which is no longer made. I tried a number of filters on mine before I finally accepted this. Again, I know DAG still has some in stock. There might be another solution somewhere out there (other than filing down the rim on a newer filter), but I am not aware of it.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra