fill flash recommendation

joey_nikkels

Can you recommend a flash that will allow me to fill at 2 stops under my ambient exposure at any given

ISO in NON-TTL AUTO mode? I'm under the impression that this is easier to do at low ISOs but I often

shoot in low light situations requiring a higher iso. I learned than I cannot do this with a recently acquired

Nikon SB-28, an otherwise very nice flash. I know this is a rather general question, but if you have a flash

that can do this, let me know! Thanks.

Joey I usually work with Studio strobes but I do have the Nikon SB800 flash and other then

using it on hot shoe mount with a hot shoe cord and in ttlbalance fill mode?I attach a sync

cord to the hot shoe cord and then the sync cord to the flash which will fire the flash when

the shutter is released without syncing with the camera settings/... hence you need to set the

flash apt. manually much like a studio strobe ?then use an abient meter reading to create

your fill.

Joey,

In low light at a higher ISO I would think your SB-28 would be more than adequate (unless your flash to subject distance exceeds the SB-28's Guide Number for the situation).

Can you give us an example? That is, what is the ambient light exposure, what ISO are you using, what is the GN for your flash at that ISO, and how far is the flash from your subject?

Light from a flash falls off with the square of the distance, so every time the flash to subject distance doubles, you have to open up two stops. Can you move the SB-28 closer to the subject?

Jim

You can try some newer flashes that support auto thyristor, but even these have their minimum output limits. Try researching Metz flashes--most of them have an auto thyristor mode and many f stop choices. You can also try older, very small flashes, such as a Sunpak Softlite 1600A, but you will be limited to what f stops you can use for the ISO. Otherwise, you are just going to have to resort to manual flash. It isn't that scary. Try it.

Correction to the above--the small flash that I mentioned won't work at all. They have even less in the way of f stop choices. They'd work if you need less output, but in manual mode. I also just checked my Metz flash. Even at ISO 2000, the widest aperture possible is f 4. I don't think such a flash as you asked for, exists.

Well you didn't state what camera you are using. Some Nikon cameras will let you set the flash output up to Plus 1 2/3rds to Minus 2. Added to that the SB-28 can also be adjusted using the plus and minus menu. If you don't like that, go with Metz, the 45 or 60 models. Extremely easy to adjust.

?To fill with a manual mode flash? It's easy! I have been writing about this procedure over years (My first article in november of the year 1994).

Let's go:

You have a dark figure over a light background (Sunset, dark street with a light place backwards, an indoor shoot with open windows, etc)

First, read the f number for the figure.

Second read the f number for the background.

-If the difference is 1 stop adjust your flash so it gives you the same f number you read in the figure.

-If the difference is 2 stops, adjusto your flash so it gives you one and a half f greeater that that of the figure.

-If the difference is 3 or greater, adjust the f number of the flash at the same f number of the background.

When I say "f number of the background" I mean "The f number YOU WNAT TO USE for the backgorund, not the f you read. This is because maybe you want the background will be a little more "light" than it is. What is waht we see usually.

Two stops under the figure is a verly low amount of light. The f number you should use for the flash is beetween the f of the figure and the fo for the background.

Of course the f you adjust in your camera is that of the background.

?How to adjust the f number in a manual flash? Three ways:

First: Use its guide number to change the distance.

Second: If your can flash can do it, use the power adjustement of your unit (My prefer, with a Sumpan 3600 which can be adjusted until 1/32 of power).

Third: use diffuser.

More on this is:

-How to fill a figure with a side lighet who produce too much contraste (for example, a figure near a window).

-How to fill the same figure near the window but when you want not only control the contrast in her face, but to expose correctly the outdoor view from th ewindow.

-how to do it with a manual flash bounced in the ceil.