21mm distortion

jason_b.

So, it has been a while since I've posted. I have been trying to get the vibe of the 50/1.4 ASPH and my

28'cron. Pretty amazing lenses.

I've been wanting to try a 21mm again, but hate the stretched feling that some 21mm lenses give. I DON'T

mean the geometric wide angle distortion by which lines converge etc, but rather the way an object seems

to smear as it nears the corners.

Supposedly the 21/3.4 is great at controlling this, and the subsequent Leica lenses haven't come as close.

How does the ZM measure up in this regard, and for that matter the 21G?

Aside from distortion, the only other quality I care about is resistance to flare. Sharpness and contrast are

less important to me these days - I've already got lenses that do that!

That's pretty much my understanding, Sheldon. My 38mm Biogon/SWC does the same thing. Objects near the edges and corners get stretched out, elongated. I think it's a necessary consequence of the wide angle of view. If you bring your eye in close to the print, until the eye subtends the same angle of arc as the camera lens did when taking the shot, the stretching disappears.

I've read that the Super Angulon gives straighter lines than most other ultra wides but I agree with Sheldon that the "smearing" elongation effect in the corners is just a result of the perspective. The 21/3.4 is a pretty amazing lens if you consider that it's a design that's past its 40th birthday. I love mine. If you shoot with a 15mm for awhile the 21mm shots start looking perfectly fine...LOL

... ahhh, the endless defining of terms. Jason, you're not noticing "optical" distortion as the term is most often used technically and regarding photographic lens and flat image mapping. See Paul van Walree's excellent exploration at http://www.vanwalree.com/optics.html and especially http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/distortion.html for your specific terms.

... and as mentioned - STAND BACK! ;-)

-- Click! Peter Blaise, wide angle lover, closeup even!

As several others pointed out, being "smeared" or "stretched" into corners is a characteristic of a good rectilinear wide angle lenses. It's just simple perspective. Oddly enough, lenses with barrel distortion have less of this smear, so it's a case of a real distortion countering a perceived perspective.

My favorite way around it, scan the film (or shoot digital, g'day M8) and then use a program called Panorama Tools to remap the image from rectilinear perspective to cylindrical. If the distorted "object" in the corner is, well, human, the cylindrical perspective really helps.

Jason- you should check out a good 24mm lens. The smear effect is not lens

distortion, but a result of the angle of view, as others have pointed out here. The

24mm length suffers a good deal less from this than 21mm. For a long time 24mm

was the only wide I used, and if someone would make a good, compact 24 f2.8 with a

good finder, I'd happily go back to it, and stop carrying a 28mm and a 21mm

altogether.

Did the 24mm thing for a while. Lots of fun, but I was better off with the 28 in the end. I

KNOW all wides distort, but as has been documented on nemeng.com etc. there is a

difference between certain lenses (just try a nikon 21 vs a leica - the total coverage is the

same, but everything is in a different place within the frame). From my recollection, the

21/3.4 was more pleasing in the corners than the 21/2.8 pre asph. So, same focal length,

different optical output. Once again, does anyone have experience with how the two existing

zeiss lenses perform relative to the two Leica ones I just mentioned?