Monopod suggestions?

2yellowdogs

To me, spending the money on a Gitzo monopod is a waste, particularly a carbon fiber model. Unless you'll be hiking with it, weight just isn't much of an issue. Different story with tripods, but a monopod is a fundamentally simple tool that doesn't need to be expensive.

I use this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=397&A=details&Q=&sku=5535&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

On top, I use this arrangement from Really Right Stuff:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

It works incredibly well. It's not a necessity, but you might want to consider something like this set-up.

Hi I am looking for a monopod for events. Other times I will use my tripod.

To be used with a F100, D70, a lens right now is the largest of 80-200/2.8 and

planned a 80-400 VR.

The 2 big players are Manfrotto and Gitzo. The first does not have expensive

monopods while the latter one does.

I am sort of stuck which to get. I mean I could save for a GM5540 or a GM1588

(or even a 3 seriess CF monopod) but a monopod is not as stable as a tripod, I

guess I am saying is does it matter if I get a CF version or not.

I admit I do like the Gitzo's CF honeycomb pattern, it looks great but I don't

want to waste my money for collective reasons than a reason of usage.

I don't understand paying $200-300 for a tripod. I just wanted something to steady my camera so I went with Bogen. They have a couple with quick release heads that are pretty inexpensive....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=397&A=details&Q=&sku=353309&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=397&A=details&Q=&sku=314122&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 681B 3 section mono that is down right sweet. Bogen has a 4 section that collapses shorter that has about the same weight rating and extended length, but I don't know the model number. Mine is currently topped with a Bogen 3055s Ball Head with the hex plate. If I was replacing it now, I would go with the Acra Tech Ball and Really Right Stuff Plates. I would use the same setup on my 3021 tripod and replace my heavy 3039 head I have now.

The purpose of a good monopod is to steady the camera, especially during action like indoor sports or action sports in general but still be mobile to a point. A good mono is good for hiking and touring when you need steady support in something small and light. The Gitzo CF is the way to go if you do allot of nature hiking and photography. But for the local hockey or indoor football, Gitzo is overkill unless the photos are your bread and butter. The Bogen/Manfrotto is the next best choice. Get down to your local camera shop that stocks monopods and tripods and play with a few to find what you like. Be sure to get one that will hold up the gear you plan to use.

Unless you are rich, use your tripod. You only have to fold all of the legs together to turn it into one. I'd never use a mono for anything other than sports, and if I was in the field shooting landscapes I definitely would not use a mono, unless I wanted to make so-so images that is. That is not an option in my book, it may be in yours.

For monopod, I like the Manfrotto 682. It stands out quite tall (172cm), and it has retractable feet so that you can make the monopod stand by itself if you want to. Well, it won't be as stable as tripod for night photography, but I think it's solid enough for everyday purpose.

Unless weight is an important issue then the Manfrotto models should be more than adequate for most monopod uses. I agree with Peter regarding what to spend (Manfrotto is less expensive than Gitzo) unless weight is very important and only then go for the Gitzo CF models. FWIW, I use Gitzo CF tripods (for their weight/size efficiency) and have an old Manfrotto CF monopod that has served me well (and which cost me much less than any Gitzo CF alternative). The only noticeable difference the Gitzo and Manfrotto models is the leg lock design. Unless that or weight are killer differences for you then I agree with Peter re: monopods. The Manfrotto models are generally safe and good choices.

Ray -

I've got the Gitzo 1588 CF, and I consider it to be the best mono on the market. Light, strong, and exquisitely made. The bonus for you is that a replacement model is on the horizon, so a lot of retailers are dumping them at good prices. Robert's, for one, has dropped their price from $315 down to $249. I've already snatched a back-up 1588 from theem at that price.

You really can't do better than the 1588 at that pricepoint.

Good luck.

Rob

I've got both the M/B 681B and G 1588. The 681B is an excellent, budget version of the 1588. The difference in weight between the two is negligible and they're spec'd to handle the same load. The 1588 handles massive gear (400/2.8) better than the 681, but the 681 handles everything up to large lenses (300/2.8) well. I was happy with the 681 until I happened on a 1588 deal that I couldn't pass up.

• 2 months later...