AF-ON problems

jay_chadney

When I have the "af-on only" setting and I am in "S" focus mode I feel I am

having a problem. I press the AF-ON button and get the beep to confirm focus,

then go and press the shutter button. Some of the time it doesn't trip the

shutter. If I hold the shutter button, it will trip anywhere from 1 second to

5 or 6 seconds later. At other times, the shutter trips right away.

Do I have a problem with my camera?

Given the settings you describe, if you simply press the af-on button and release it after focus has been achieved, the sightest movement of the camera will cause it to loose focus and the shutter will not release. If you keep the af-on button depressed after focus is achieved, then focus will be locked and you can release the shutter at any time. As for keeping the shutter button depressed and having the shutter fire several seconds later, my guess is that subsequent movement brought the sensor back to the original focus point, at which time the shutter fires.

Cheers/Mike

You need to fully understand the custom settings you have made for a1, AF-C, and a2, AF-S, for Banks A, B C or D and make sure they are in effect when you are shooting. What you think you have set might not be in effect. A full explanation of Focus Release vs other options can be found here:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_multi-cam_af/nikon_d200_multi-cam1000_review_2.html

I suggest that all D 200 owners read all fice segments parts of this tutorial. It is excellent.

On my D 200, I make sure that I have set both the Shooting Bank and Custom Menu Bank are set to what I want. I have made errors before where I had set one thinking I had invoked the settings of the other.

If I understand your question, I think you need to be in a2 for AF-S.

Joe Smith

Joe - thanks for this very useful link. I had not seen that before, and it provides a lot of good information in a very concise manner. I need to re-examine some of my custom bank settings. However, it also highlights the flexibility of the system to adapt to different shooting styles. The author's preferences are not always the same as mine, for instance, because I frequently shoot older MF lenses and focus priority is counter-productive.

Now, back to the original question. Have we helped .... or added to the problem?

Having the focus mode on S WITHOUT setting the custom setting to release priority (so that it really only shoots when in focus) can sometimes be helpful if shooting macro hand held (usually with manual focusing). <br>

You set focusing distance (and thus the desired magnification), then gradually approach the object with the shutter pressed. It will then shoot when the object is in focus, acting like a "focus-trap-trigger".

Sometimes this is a bit easier than trying to focus and shoot at the almost same time so that you do not loose focus in between... <p>

Daniel