Intel and Power PC MAC for CS3

I have been hearing a lot that CS 3 will be Universal. Does this mean that it will run natively on the intel

macs and the powerpc macs? I know that photoshop has to run "rosetta" or emulations on the new intels.

Will CS 3 have to run the same kind of emulations on the old power pc? I have a G5 dual 1.8 with 2 gigs of

ram that works great for me and i do fairly heavy CS 2 use. It would be very dissapoiting to be forced to

upgrade so soon.

If your present setup works great, there's no compelling reason you need to upgrade for a

year, maybe two. CS2 is still a very powerful tool. But the handwriting is on the wall for power

pc macs, just as they replaced the 68xxx chips. I would think CS3 would require an intel chip.

I would be *very* surprised if CS3 is Intel only. Apple has been selling Intel machines for only a year, so there is an enormous installed base of PPC machines, particularly in the graphic arts industry, Adobe's bread and butter. They'd be fools to limit sales of CS3 to just Intel Macs sold in the past year.

What Apple calls a "Universal" binary is one that includes code for both Intel and PPC chips. So, if CS3 is Universal, it will run natively on both architectures.

I wouldn't count on PPC support forever, but it will likely be a graceful decline. Newer versions of Photoshop will be tuned for Intel, but it will probably be 3-5 years before they release an Intel-only version. By that time, your G5 will be a doorstop and it won't matter.

If CS3 is universal that means it will run on both PowerPC and Intel macs in native mode. If it

is running in native mode it won't need to run in emulation, they are mutually exclusive. At

this point it would be foolish for Adobe to release a version of photoshop that will only run

on intel macs. They are in the business of selling as many packages of PS that they can. Why

would they limit their customer base by doing that? The native intel version will undoubtedly

run faster than the native PowerPC version because the newer Intel machines have faster

CPUs. However, I can't see them forcing you to buy a new mac to run their software at this

point. In a few years, perhaps.

When you say upgrade....just to make it clear..........there is NO upgrade from CS2 to CS3. Meaning no $150 software upgrade to turn CS2 into CS3. Only a brand new CS3 software load gets you CS3. <a href=" http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf"><u>Adobe paper on CS3</u></a>......top of page two. <a href="http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/"><u>Scott Byer's Blog</u></a> on same subject, March 23, 2006 entry..

went to a Julianne kost presentation on Lightroom today inAtlanta. Lightroom already is

Universal Binary a 9bet you knew that) and will be out a month or two before PsCS3. pricing

was discussed but I highly doubt that if you have a licensed version of Photoshop that it will

cost more than the replacement cost (about $150-170) of an earlier version of Ps with PsCs2.

You be fine with your current machine but PsCs3 is going to run much faster on an Intel

based Mac than on a G5 Mac.

Thomas-

I don't know how you read between the lines in the Adobe whitepaper and that old blog entry to conclude that there won't be a CS2->CS3 upgrade. All they said is that Adobe has no plans to release Intel native versions of CS2 applications, which is what they have been saying for over a year now.

While only Adobe knows for sure, I would be shocked if they did away with upgrades. If they did, they would have a lot of ticked off loyal customers and sell a lot fewer copies of CS3. Since Universal Binary means there will be only *one* Mac version of CS3, if there is an Mac upgrade to CS3, it will almost certainly include Intel support.

This is how rumors get started.

Thanks for all the good information. I am glad to here that my powerpc wont be obsolete for

another year or two. As far as upgrade i meant upgrading to a intel mac. Fortunatly i am a

student at the University of Texas and they have some badass licensing deals with adobe so i

can get software for considerably less than market price.

I hope you are correct in your interpretation of those links, I really do, but if they aren't re-releasing current products as Universal apps.......because they are focused on delivering the next versions of these products as Universal apps.....so they can deliver optimal value for those customers.....

....and Scott says.....but there is just no way putting out a Universal Binary of Photoshop CS2 would make any sort of sense. If you think about switching tool sets, with the resulting huge amount of work for both engineering and quality engineering, if you think about how far past the Photoshop CS2 release we already are, and if you include not having the workstation-class machines ready yet, I think you'd have to agree - far better to focus on making sure Photoshop CS3 is able to absolutely squeeze every ounce of power out of what I'm sure will be pretty spankin' Intel-based towers by that point than to do tons of work moving an old code base to new tools....

....then I hardly think they are going to do a cs2 to cs3 upgrade.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that a PC (non Mac anything) won't have a cs2 to cs3 upgrade.........but....would they really do that for PC and not Mac?

Like I said, I hope I read all that wrong.....and that you are right.......but.........being an engineer and being in management, I would be hard pressed to think otherwise. Better in the long run to just start a new baseline and call CS3 a new beginning.

Which is why I personally think that the inclusion of Lightroom with CS3 would be a logical step. Lightroom is being promoted as being conceived from a photographers point of view......vice photoshop to date as being from the graphic designer's point of view. This would be a perfect opportunity to completly break photoshop away from graphic design and truely call it a photographer's tool. So, Adobe takes a bit of a hit in 2007 for pissing previous owners off because of no upgrade. But, it makes up for it with Apple owners at the same time. Plus adding Macromedia designs into the entire suite, and probably a few apps within the suite, makes the whole package a much better concept in the long run...........another reason for drawing the line in the sand right here, right now. From a business point of view, it actually does make the most sense.

<I>...photoshop to date as being from the graphic designer's point of view</I><P>That is

an urban myth. Photoshop has always been geared through photographers along with

graphic artists, that is why most of the tools are named after wet darkroom actions. How

many digital people know where the term UnSharp Mask comes from for example? BTW, I

was a beta tester on v2.0. As far as updates, I find it hard to believe there won't be an

upgrade path for owners of CS2.

myth or not....every blurb Adobe puts out says Lightroom is more geared towards photographers.....every tutorial I listened to on Adobe's site proclaims how much more photography thinking the controls in Lightroom are. It's more photographer oriented by their own marketting spin. That's what my whole comment was about....how Adobe thought about their new products.

And I still say, if they are completely rewriting the code for CS3, and they haven't gone back to rewrite the code for CS2.....I'd be immensely surprised if they go thru the time and expense for an upgrade to cs3 from the existing cs2.

But, I guess we'll see come Spring of 2007.

<p><i>now...........if they sell CS2 registerred owners a brand spanking new version of CS3 (full version) for $150......that would be a nice upgrade path, but, would they?</i>

<p>That's exactly how Photoshop upgrades have worked for the past several releases. When you buy a CS2 "upgrade" it is, in fact, a full version of CS2 that replaces your old version of Photoshop. It's not some sort of patch that adds CS2 functions to an old Photoshop; it's a completely new program. The only difference between the $600 "full" and $150 "upgrade" is that the upgrade installer checks for a valid previous version before it proceeds -- the software itself is exactly the same. Legally, the upgrade license is different from the full one, too. There is no reason to suspect that Adobe won't offer CS3 in both "full" and "upgrade" packaging, just like they have for previous releases. The price, of course, is anyone's guess, but it will probably be significantly less than a full version.

I think LIghtroom is responding to or part of a move to recognize and promote a purely

digital workflow from start to finish.As reflected in Aperture and some of the other

programs. The concern is more in image management with increasingly sophisticated

editing capabilities as well. Digitally equipped professional wedding, fashion and other

large shoot type project doers love these programs.

PS to my way of thinking is more designed for heavy image manipulation, editing and

retouching two different, but not mutually exclusive functions. It has a level of

Sophistication and depth that the lightrooms, and Apertures won't even try to emulate.

The later concept of the Adobe Creative Suite is to interface vector graphics, design,

bitmap images and compilation into a total graphics package where indesign is a key

element and more on a project basis.. I'm way more interseted in the photo end and

would be quite happy with a stand alone PS Universal edition. I would use Aperture to

replace Bridge, or maybe lightroom. I do like Aperture. I used to know how to work Coral

Draw pretty well, but haven't a clue these days so I never open Illustrator unless its just to

stare at it and wonder WTF..

I too hope its an upgrade..but I wonder if its that easy to upgrade when you have to make

such fundemenal changes to the underlying program, ie recompiling it in a diferent

enviorenment. I guess we'll see what's being offered soon enough.