Going to Istanbul..any tips of any sort?

steven_moseley1

Hiya,

I am going to Istanbul for the first time with my partner. We have a hotel in

the old quarter and are going for just four days and I shall take a film SLR

with a few lenses.

Does anyone have any tips of any sort to give..places to visit, great photo

opportunities, security both for ourselves and my gear, good food & drink

tips, things to avoid etc..

any help much appreciated, cheers Steve (UK)

Several places definitely worth a visit, IMHO: Hagia Sophia, Topkapi, the Blue Mosque and the waterfront (major shipping lanes & lots of activity). If they're still giving tours under the city & you're a James Bond fan, tour the water reservoir which was filmed in "To Russia with Love". Of course the old market (or what's left of it) for character and color. Have fun, it's a neat city.

1. Aya Sofia.

2. Don't buy a carpet.

3. Cats.

4. Sultanhamet area is expensive for food and stuff.

5. Tram / Metro is great for getting around (1.3 YTL) (inc main airport)

6. You can go in the mosques, of which there are a great number.

7. You should probably visit Topkapi Palace.

Other posters have identified the major scenic spots. I would add that Istanbul is a great city for walking, and in my experience, is quite safe. I recall walking through the souk and out a rear entrance, eventually ending up in a park that I believe was near a university. But the area was much less touristy and much more photogenic. Look for the guys delivering cups of tea to merchants selling their wares along the sidewalk.

My wife and I and our five year old visited Turkey in March for the total solar eclipse. Part of that time was spent in the historic area of Istanbul where you will be.

First of all, we were delighted with Turkey--it exceeded every one of our expectations.

As for places to visit, the grand old attractions noted above are the ones to see if you have but four days.

For inexpensive but excellent food, go to the Doy Doy restaurant, near the Blue Mosque. Both locals and visitors know it well. While dining there, we ran into the author of the Lonely Plant guide book for Turkey. He said he always eats at the Doy Doy while in Istanbul.

We never had any concerns about our personal safety in Turkey, even while walking on deserted streets late at night. To be sure, you will be plagued at all hours of the day or night with salesmen trying to lure you to rug shops. These hucksters are nonstop and irritating but harmless. Good luck trying to keep them at bay. As a whole, the Turkish people are most hospitable. I cannot count the number of times complete strangers helped us with our son's stroller up or down stairs or getting onto the trolley.

I used a 24/2.8 on my film Nikon for 90% of my shots. If I had an 85, I would have used that for the other 10%. I didn't and so used a 105 instead. One body and two lenses simplifies your life a great deal.

Enjoy Istanbul, we can't wait to get back.

I was in Turkey this summer, it is my home country. You should also visit the Underground Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi) and the Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsi). They are all close to each other with the places mentioned above in the Old City. I would suggest taking a boat tour in the Bosphorus. If you are interested in getting the proper historical information, I would suggest finding a guided tour. It makes a very big difference knowing what you are staring at. On the other hand, it would limit you time wise while taking photographs.

You'll find decent local beer and wine at many nice local restaurants. The serving sizes are small though, especially comparing to American servings.

Safety shouldn't be a problem, keep your valuables close to yourself. Nothing major but I've heard some snatcher stories and I don't know how true they were. You'll see how friendly the people are in general.

Taxis are reasonably priced and regulated, pay only the amount displayed in the meter. The traffic is hectic, be extra careful when crossing across streets and do not assume that they will give you the right of way. There are ATMs everywhere, I find it the most convenient to withdraw money (in Turkish Lira of course) as I spend.

I hope you have a great time, do not hesitate to email if you need more specific information.

Hagia Sophia is magical, especially if you have any interest in history and/or religion; I've visited lots of the 'big' religious buildings around Europe and it's definitely my favourite. The Blue Mosque is also beautiful, but it's more 'pristine' and so (IMO) less photogenic. One of the other mosques in Istanbul is supposedly considered the greatest of all Ottoman mosques, but I forget which one it is.

Many of the churches in Istanbul date from Byzantine times and have wonderful religious mosaics in them - many are better than any you'll see anywhere else in the world. If you're interested in these its worth researching it before you go as there are so many of them, but they're spread out quite a bit.

Topkapi Palace is definitely worth a visit, but I didn't find it particularly photogenic. I'd recommend the waterfront and even taking a boat trip, as the views from the bosphorus are well worth a trip.

I'd also visit some cafes and the markets - not just the grand bazaar but also some local fruit/veg margets if you can find any.

If you're not sure about getting into the city, ask your hotel - i think when i went they arranged for a minibus to pick us up (extra charge, but cheap).

Have tea or coffee in the garden of Yeshil Ev (the green house) located between Aya Sofia and Sultan Ahmet (the blue Mosque). Or if winter is setting in, be inside the small lobby of Yeshil Ev at 5 pm for piano entertainment. In the old part of the covered bazaar there is a shop where they sell framed beautiful Arabic calligraphy on real leaves. Do not miss the sunset from the top of the Galata tower (a classic postcard but why not?).

The fish restaurants are incredible.

You will have a good time

• 2 weeks later...

I love Turkey, I've been three times, it is a fantastic country. Do the underground cistern and look for the Roman head. If it's not busy, you can use a table top tripod.

Unfortunately, some of the "snatcher" stories are true. Two of the folks I was with two years ago both had their wallets stolen in the Grand Bazzair. One had his wallet in his rear pocket (stupid) and the other had a back pack reazor cut. One did find his wallet outside in the gutter with the money and credit cards gone.

Another time, one lady had the camera stolen from the back of a chair in a restaurant, we are not sure if it was when she got up to go to the washroom or not.

Not to scare you, just be careful. By the way, the tea/water sellers charge to take their picture, best to settle the amount up front first.

LGH