Pinkish cast to slides

I recently shot 10 rolls of Kodachrome on a vacation. All of them came back

looking good, except for one, which had a strange, slightly pinkish cast (which,

unfortunately, I can't show here.) Most of the rolls were K64, but this

particular roll was K200, very fresh, dated 10/2007. I've shot other rolls from

the same batch of K200 with perfect results.

I was using a new B+W skylight filter when I shot this roll, I think, which has

a slight pinkish tint to it. The pinkish cast is most noticable on some

overcast cloud shots, but also on some light morning mist shots as well. Could

the filter be the cause? If so, any guesses as to why the other rolls all

looked fine?

The roll was finished while out on a morning boat ride, and sat in my backpack

for several hours during a very hot day. Could this be the problem? I've left

exposed rolls of Kodachrome in backpack for several days on other occasions with

no such problems (e.g., two or three bright, sunny days of summer down in the

Grand Canyon, 110 degree heat.)

I suppose its possible that Dwayne's messed something up, but that would be

unlike them, and it would seem like a rather strange mistake to make. And, like

I said before, every other roll from the trip looked great.

Most puzzling.

Kodachrome 200 is less contrasty than 64, so it may show the pink cast of the filter better. Kodachrome 200 is just a more subtle film, more revealing in some ways. My last roll of 200 was quite pink as well, frustrating, but it wasn't nearly so fresh as yours.

When I was using Kodachrome 200 moderately regularly, I'd homed in on the Professional version, now sadly unavailable. It was always dead-on for color.

Thomas, would you say that only the white parts of the scenes look pink, or is the pink cast evident in other parts of the scene (i.e. do gray rocks or brown tree trunks look pink)? It is important to determine whether this is a d-min color-cast or a general color balance issue.

After a careful examination, I can say that they pinkish tint shows up on:

White objects, such as clouds or mist.

Off-white objects, such as clouds, lifeboats on the side of a cruise ship (but only very moderately.)

White to medium grey objects, such as more clouds and various rocks (again, very moderately.)

I don't know how to be any more precise without showing you, and, alas, I don't yet have the scanner I have my heart set on (Nikon Supercoolscan 5000.)

Again, any helpful hints would be...helpful.

I can only speak from my experience with processing Ektachrome film, where a pink cast

indicates a failure of the color developer, but with Kodachrome it might indicate they

processed this roll at the wrong speed, as 64 instead of 200. I've never had problems with

processing Kodachrome film so I don't know for sure. A skylight filter won't produce any

extreme pink effect and usually isn't even noticable. Have you talked with the lab? You

should show them the roll and consider asking for a replacement roll of film.

Thomas, thanks for the additional information describing the problem. It sounds like the pink cast is limited to the light end of the tone scale, and does not impact medium to dark tones.

I doubt that this could be caused by processing, especially since you said other rolls were shot & processed together. Previous responder said something about different processing for 64 vs. 200, but there is no such thing. K-14 process is same whether the film is 25 speed, 64, or 200.

To get a color cast in one part of the tone scale, it is more likely that the film was mis-handled somewhere, such as receiving some heat or humidity that it should not have been exposed to. A less likely possibility is that the film was manufactured with a color cross-over, meaning non-neutrality in the tone scale. If the pink cast is objectionable to you, then you might consider calling Kodak and asking for their advice regarding this "fresh" emulsion which did not perform to your expectations. If you have more of this film in your posession, unexposed, Kodak might want to test it. They might also want to know where you bought it. My 2 cents.

Neil, thanks for the information. I've never had the pink cast with my Kodachrome slides and

more often than not use a Skylight filter. Dan, also thanks, but doesn't the process have to

account for the film speed in the film developer? With the E-process you have to adjust either

the temperature time for film speed. Why wouldn't the K-process be similar, or is

Kodachrome film independent of this? Just curious and interested in knowing.

Thomas S,

I have experienced this as well with KL, never with KR. Some KL rolls are just great while other are not. Why is that, I don't know, but I suspect that it has something to do with film itself. KL just seems to be a sensitive emulsion and go bad quite easily. It is the only film I have shot with plenty of date left (many months) and still get problem like this. Anyway, I like this film very very much, but would use the Pro version if it would be available.

Scott,

You are misinformed regarding adjusting developer time for speed of film. The film speed is governed by how the manufacturer makes it (i.e. ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800 etc.).

Processing is standardized with developer type, time, and temperaturesfor a type of film:

C-41 for color negative

E-6 for Ektachrome/Fujichrome/Agfachrome color reversal

K-14 for Kodachrome

The only time the time/temperature need to change is if the photographer wants a push or pull process, if they intentionally under or overexposed the film and need an adjustment in processing to compensate.

Hope this helps.