Massive Bridal Party

Flower girls in front, guys with 1 knee down and a bridesmaid sitting on the knee, tall guys in the back row, ladies the next row down and the kids and the people 1 knee down, also on the bottom row. Don't block the B&G that little area in front should remain open. The ladder will save you so you will be high enough to see everyones faces.

Not a little 3 step ladder either. And a tall tripod.

Obviously this is an inside shoot. As an alternative to the step ladder, if the Bridal shoot is at

the church, see if there is a balcony to shoot from. This will allow you to use a longer lens

and avoid wide angle distortion. If the balcony is too far away, then it may not work.

However, even if it is close enough, this approach poses a lighting issue requiring an off

camera slave set-up.

This may not be the best example because it's outside and it's not very formal but this is the one that went in the album so I have it handy. I think this is about 30 people (11 attendants each + B&G + kids + ushers)...I usually start with all the girls on the bottom step with the couple and the guys behind them and put the kids somplace in the front. Good Luck!<div>00IcHd-33249084.jpg.2e7339f2c02524112ff8206f145840c4.jpg</div>

Larry, do you already know where the shoot is to take place? This could influence a lot of things. For example, if it's a place with a balcony, you might not need the ladder. I'm also not sure if you'll really need a tall tripod unless you're shooting indoors at lower shutter speeds. You could always drag the shutter or bring in extra off-camera lighting (as Marc alluded to) On the other hand, you might have access to a balcony but the sun might be blazing down, causing everyone to squint up at you. Not the best way to get memorable wedding shots methinks ;)

<p>The kneeling/squatting/tall people thing usually works, but it makes for pretty static compositions IMHO. If you're wanting some more 'fun' or lively shots, Stacy's example might be more up your street.

<p>If the setting is in a nice expanse of grass, some maids could lie down in the foreground, etc etc

<p>If the setting is a nice colonial-style building with stairs, you could use that as a setting, and the problem would be just about solved...a few people on every step :)

My top number was 39 in the wedding party. I just used a flight of steps. Lucky for me there was a good flight of about 8-10 shallow steps outside with room enough for me to back up. Still, a short ladder would be good. I treated it like the formals indoors on the altar and didn't have to resort to having guys squat, etc. Maybe scope out the location and a good set of steps to use. All the other suggestions above are good as well. I posed the group as couples with the kids in front, in a rectangular shape. Just have to make sure each face is offset and can be seen.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I have been to the church/chapel where the wedding is taking place, just not recently. I would like to work a structured symetrycal shot and let them mess around and have a fun free form posing session.

The wedding is Dec 30th so I dont anticipate outside opportunities. Global warming is great but not yet 100% reliable. I have the Alien Bee 800's if necessary so I can boost light with little concern.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on arranging the bodies.

Larry, I build my large wedding party shots around chairs if possible. Look around the venue and find four chairs with arms. Then fill up the chairs with the ladies. Have some sit in the chairs and some sit on the arms of the chair. Then just ask the fellas to stand behind the women. Use the kids to fill in gaps in the front row. Strategically place people so that the things look balanced.<div>00Icqg-33258184.jpg.923996b236851d278bfcd7293f3517ca.jpg</div>

As for trying to use a tall tripod and ladder at the same time, here is a trick. Don't use a tripod. Take a 3/4" 12x4' and cut it down to 1.5 feet long. You will then have a 1' x 1.5' x 3/4" piece of wood. Drill a hole in the center and put a bolt through so you can attach a tripod head to it. Now when you climb the ladder clamp this to the very top step using C-clamps. Your ladder just became a tripod.