i'm about to get a D80 but i'm really confused that EOS400 and D80, which one

is better. what i'm considering now is that when i get D80 body,i know i can

get a 180-200mm VR lens to match with my D80. but with EOS400D, i don't have

an idea of what lens should i get instead of the lens kit. i'm a very very

beginner of photography but i love it so much, i wanna have a good lens at

first which would help me to get familiar with photography. this might be a

silly question to all of you guys but can I use nikon 180-200mm VR on canon

EOS 400? or do you know any canon good lens that i can get to match with EOS

400 and it's also good for beginner to use?

<I>i can get a 180-200mm VR lens to match with my D80</i><P>

Nope (they don't make such a lens), but both Canon and Nikon make stabilized 70-200

lenses (Nikon makes a 70-200/2.8 VR, Canon makes a 70-200/2.8 IS and a 70-200/4 IS).

Both f2.8 lenses (VR and IS) are excellent; the 70-200/4 IS is brand new but is probably

also excellent. All of these lenses are large and VERY expensive: $1200 - $1600. Nikon

also makes an 18-200 VR, which is what you may be thinking of. No, you can't

interchange lenses between these cameras and maintain automated functions.<P>

Both cameras will give roughly equivalent (i.e., really good) picture quality under most

circumstances. The Nikon is reputed to have higher construction quality (and costs

more); the Canon may give slightly better results at very high ISO settings. <P>

If you really want an 18-200 VR lens, get the Nikon.

Shan, why don't you pay some camera store a visit and take a look at the Canon 400 and Nikon D80. There is no way someone else can tell you which one is "better" for you.

By the way, the Nikon lens is a 18-200mm DX VR, not 180-200. Canon has no direct equivalent for that lens but they have many others. Moreover, that particular Nikon lens is very difficult to find in these days.

sorry guys I meant 18-200mm VR...thanks you Mark, yeah 18-200mm is quite expensive but are there any nikon or cannon lens that is also good for beginners? I just want a good one to start and would probably use it for quite a period of time...

everyone says lens is much much more important than body, so i just want a nikon or cannon body and then just stick with it and only change lens in the future, so i'm just wondering, if i go with nikon, then i'll have to use nikon lens only in the future, or if go with cannon, then i'll have to use cannon lens only in the future, so the question is, nikon and canon's lens, which one is better in total? sorry i really do think this is a silly question but i'm really confused as i've said i am a very very beginner for photography, i'm saving my money now everyday to get a good DSLR and lens, really confused...are there any good lens to match with D80 or EOS 400 anyone please recommand me!

Shan,

you ask "nikon and canon's lens, which one is better in total?" Yes they are better! (that was a

joke...)

Seriously, both cameras and lens systems are great. You can't go wrong with either. if you

want the 18-200 buy the Nikon. That's what I did and why i did it. the Canons are also

tremendous.

Both Canon and Nikon have a huge set of lenses to choose from, and both brands have some lenses that are not available in the other. You are looking way too far ahead; it is like you have a new born and you are planning on which university he/she should attend some 18 years down the road.

Again, visit a camera store and see which camera you prefer.

This is why Pentax/Samsung and Sony are making DSLR cameras with built in vibration reduction technology. A Sony Alpha 100 with an 18-200 will cost much less than a Nikon D80 or D200 with an 18-200 VR lens. At some point I think Canon and Nikon will have to adopt this strategy. You can see that if they do, either the VR of the camera or the lens will have to be disabled so the two systems don't conflict with each other.

"At some point I think Canon and Nikon will have to adopt this strategy."

If Canon do, I think it will be for marketing reasons only. One of the key engineering

decisions in the EOS line was that actuators, etc, belong in the lens, not in the body. Hence

the decision to put the appropriate lens focus motor and diaphragm actuator in each lens,

and have purely electronic communication between camera & lens. That was a bold decision

but I think it was the right one, and I note that many other manufacturers have done

similarly, at least for some more recent lenses. To move the IS/VR technology back into the

body would be a step away from that position.