paul_roberts5

Just got a D70 from my Grandma. she has had it since last year and maybe taken

100 photos. I am very new to digital slr. I have a few of her books I am

reading, but decided to ask for some advice on here. I have a Nikon 18-70mm

lense right now, I do right good bit of outdoor photo, especially this time of

year. I was wandering what would be another good lense for scenic shots? Also

looking at carrying bags and filters.

My other camera is an older Minolta. Alot different than this one!! any advice

you might want to give me I would appreciate.

Thanks

Paul

the 18-70 is a good general purpose lens. should be good for decent scenic shot.

some like long lens for scenic shots, some (like myself) prefer wide angles. i'd suggest to make good use of the 18-70. If you want something wider, 12-24 from Nikon and Tokina are good ('ve the nikon and tried the tokina).

18mm should really be wide enough for most people. Wider is fun, but mostly for playing around in my opinion. The 18-70 is already a very wide range that covers almost everything on a digital camera. I would recommend adding fast prime lenses for your favourite focal lengths.

For my second lens, I got the Nikon DX 55-200 mm. I find it useful for taking pictures of my grandchildren's soccer games as well as numerous other cirucmstances when I long lens would be helpful. As to a bag, I would suggest something a bit larger than you need for just the camera and two lenses since you are likely to be adding additional equipment. For example, my third major purchase was a SB-800 flash. I found the built-in flash inadequate for indoor photography. If nothing else, the external flash allows you to use bounce flash and avoid harsh shadows.

Paul,

Before investing more into lenses, I would suggest shoot with what you have and work out

a system you like in regards to software, computers, and output.

I had a D70 and loved it. I sold it to a good friend and now have a D200 and have enjoyed

it greatly.

Take care.

Mark Sablow

http://web.mac.com/brothermark/iWeb/Site/Mark%20Sablow%20Photography.html

If you have a lot of money then get any lens that has been recommended. If you seriously want to learn about photography just use this lens for about a year, and then you will know exactly which lens/es you need. It will no longer be a question of want.

I use the 18-70DX probably 90% of the time for just about everything except macros. It is well and truely a very decent lens with a good zoom range for landscapes.

If you have a look at my portfolio you will see what can be done with this lens on the D70.

Hey, you have a very good set up there now with your 70 and 18 - 70 lens. Add a polarizer

and tripod and your good to go.

After you get the feel of using the digital camera and see what your requiring.. then ask

which equipment to buy. Don't hurry to spend your money.