Should I buy new 300D?

drjt87

I just saw a 300D new available for $500 AUD (about $360 USD). Its from a large

department store, and it comes with everything except the kit lens (which I

don't need anyway). Just wondering, is it worth getting? I currently only have

a rebel film camera.

What I want would be a full frame camera, but then as a student, my finances don't exactly allow that. What I need is a decent digital camera that can take photos instantly (no lag after pressing button). Since I have a few good primes already, I'm not worried about the lens. By the comments so far, I guess its not a bad idea to get it?

"...By the comments so far, I guess its not a bad idea to get it?.."

Use the "opportunity cost" concept. The 300d will cost you A$500 - what lease can you get for this money? What can you get for the difference you'll save by not buying something more expensive? What features are you going to miss if you take the 300d route? Is it worth the difference in cost?

Also, make sure you get a proper 12-month warranty with it. And make sure it's actually 'new' as advertised.

If you can afford it and it has everything you want, go for it. Its not going to be your last camera. Get it now and start taking pictures. You can debate all you want but in the end you're always going to compromise. After you've used a few cameras, you will know what's important to you and you wont have to ask anyone.

Good Luck

"it's remarkable they still have 'new' 300D's. Which store in Australia?"

Plenty of places in the USA still have the Rebel Digital/300D. Most are displaying 3

generations of Rebels side by side. I just saw an EOS 10D at the local Ritz. Plenty of old stock

in the Canon point 'n shoots digicams as well.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The 300D is a good camera that delivers very good image quality, but there are several improvements of features in the next generation, the 350D/XT -- especially a larger buffer and faster internal image processor, which means you can shoot more photos in a series. That alone made the upgrade worth for me. Especially if you shoot in RAW format or if you shoot action and sports, the smaller buffer of the 300D can be annoying.

There are also some nice custom functions missing in the 300D (unless you install the "russian firmware hack").

If the larger and faster buffer of the 350D is important for you and you can spend some more $$, I think it would be better to get the 350D. You may also look for a good 2nd hand 350D, since a lot of people are selling it now because they want to upgrade to the new 400D.

If you prefer a new camera and can't spend the price for a 350D/400D, get the 300D and be happy with it. It's still a nice camera and will be a great step forward from your rebel film camera.

Don't forget to leave some space in your budget for the accessories of digital photography, like CF cards and maybe some hard- and software upgrades.

Have fun,

Christof

I bought my 300D about 2 1/2 years ago. It has been a fantastic camera. I also have a Canon Powershot G2 which influenced my buying another Canon camera. I am sure all of the other comments on the camera lacking many of the new features that its successors have is true. I don't see many new additions that I miss, but I will upgrade to something next year. However, for now, I am very content with the 300D. I have six lenses with it, the latest being the Canon 70-300 USM IS and with a 1.4 teleconverter. I am getting great shots with the camera. Go for it.

While it is true that the 350D and the 400D have been released since, the 300D is still a good photographic tool if you can tolerate its (lack of) speed for CF card writes and image review. The high-ISO performance of the newer models may be a tad better but the 300D can still produce excellent 8x10-worthy images at ISO 800.

If you have the money for a 400D buy it instead. If you are on a limited budget, by all means buy the 300D and start shooting. I still haven't upgraded from mine. :)

There are a *LOT* of very convenient upgrades from the 300D to the 350D, so if you can stretch it, get a 350D. If you can't stretch it, buy the 300D and be happy with it - it will still produce outstanding images. Most of the time, the quality of images from a 300D is mostly limited by the monkey behind the camera. :-)