Color Meters

meatwagon

Hi everyone, I have a question. I was in a conversation with a known

photographer from these parts, Waldy martens and he told me a story how, playboy

called him up and said they can fix his photos anymore, He had no idea that his

softboxs where changing the temperature of his photos. So i have a feeling that

my temp may be off due to the fact that i cannot afford the top of the line

gear, I am currently using alien bees, and 30$ softboxes that work fine. So i

think im going to rent a color meter to test out my lights and modifiers.. Now

how do i test them? what procedure should i go through? I shoot digital in raw

so its not that big of deal, unless im mixing different light.. Anyway thanks

for your info , much appreciated, jamie

Keep in mind a number of other factors. For example, a flash may look right on 5500K for daylight/flash, but if you turn down the output, it can warm up or down. Modeling lights also will throw the balance toward the warm end if you have them up too high. My suggestion is that you try to rent a Broncolor meter. They are just superb. Keep in mind there's a fairly large range as to what is "daylight". It's not uncommon for lower end lighting to be off a couple hundred degrees. I would think AB lighting might not be too bad though.

If you test, you can be familiar with what color temp your lights and boxes put out, and adjust your camera's white balance to match. If your boxes are different brand or different ages, you may have to deal with one box being warmer or cooler than than another. Same brands from same design era have a better chance of being consistent. You have to expect that your lights may put out a different color temps at different power settings as said above. Testing is the key, it can be time consuming and a pain, but there is no way around it if acuracy is your need.

Michael: <I><br>Keep in mind there's a fairly large range as to what is "daylight"</i>.<p>Photographic ``daylight is <I>still</I> 5600 degrees Kelvin.<br> If by ``large range`` you mean the different maker`s concepts of `daylight``, you`re correct.<br> There are 4800 degree Kelvin <I><b>strobes</b></I>, though most strobes hover in the 55-5600 degree range.<p>Most CC gels are manufactured to alter 55-5600 degrees Kelvin lighting.

jamie: <i><br>(SNIP)...he told me a story how, playboy called him up and said they can fix his photos anymore, He had no idea that his softboxs where changing the temperature of his photos.</i><p>Playboy was unfair to him. they should have informed him of what their color ``<i>palette</i>`` is.<p>At the same time, every shooter who even dreams of shooting professionally must own a color meter and be prepared to Gel their strobes for their clients and if not, then for themselves.<p>Color meters will help you with your own preferred ``palette``, once you develop it. But so too will the accurate application of the correct Gels. <p>Color meters are absolutely necessary for the proper, ``<i><b>repeatable</b></i>`` production of transparencies or digital files, ``repeatable`` being the operative word.<p><I> So i have a feeling that my temp may be off due to the fact that i cannot afford the top of the line gear, I am currently using alien bees, and 30$ softboxes that work fine. So i think im going to rent a color meter to test out my lights and modifiers.. Now how do i test them? what procedure should i go through? I shoot digital in raw so its not that big of deal, unless im mixing different light.</I><p>You will never be considered a competent ``pro`` until and unless you master lighting, be it outdoors or indoors, strobes or ``hot lights``.<br> And no amount of ``chimping`` can teach you accurate color lighting.<br> That takes both: a color <I><b><u>and</u></b></I> exposure meter.<p>Renting a color meter is a splendid idea to get your feet wet in color lighting.