understand this transaction. We are able to pull up the complete record

of your web purchase. That is what I did. Canon made three versions of

the lens. The original was made with both a metal mount for a while and

then a plastic mount. The new version (II) also has a plastic mount. The

metal mount version sells for $159.00 in EX condition, the plastic mount

of the first version for $99, and the newer cheaper version new for

$73.95.<p>

Bill Hansen, KEH Sales Manager<p>

I don't think there was a lens called Canon 50mm f/1.8 I with plastic mount.

Would you correct me if I'm wrong?

Never heard of or seen a plastic mount version of the 50/1.8 "I".

The "I" version has a metal mount, a distance scale and a separate manual focusing ring. The "II" has a plastic mount, no distance scale and manually focuses by rotating the lens barrel.

If the one they sent has a distance scale, separate focus ring and a plastic mount, KEH may be right, but I've never seen or heard of such a "hybrid" lens.

The lens I received has plastic mount, no distance scale, and no separate manual focus ring. The front of the lens shows, "CANON LENS EF 50mm 1:1.8 II" and "CANON LENS MADE IN JAPAN". I was surprised because I thought KEH was a reputable dealer and because the explanation was from a KEH Sales Manager.

The EF 50 F 1.8 will not say Mark I as most of you know.

Canon appears to only add 'Mark II' onwards.

I wonder if this is confusing the store, as there are only two official mark releases for the lens.

I know the EF180 Macro and EF85 F1.2 had internal construction changes without a Mark release. The EF85 F1.2 has since had a new Mark II model with broader changes.

If they are looking at service manuals they could be getting totally confused :-)

The brokers are probably working off of commission and were indeed trying to get you. They know their stuff. I recently bought a 5D from Keh. I specifically asked if it was refurbished. The guy assured me it was not, it was just a demo model that was barely used. Well, it turns out it was indeed refurbished. I am not returning it because it was still a good deal and he is right, though it was used, you can't tell. It is in great condition. I almost sent it back out of principle, but didn't want to be without my 5D.

I've heard good things about KEH, but my only personal experience was also of a negative kind. They sent to me a lens hood that was clearly broken, and I had to pay return shipping on it to receive credit. I no longer buy used, and certainly woudln't risk a repeat experience with them.

As for the 50 1.8, I have a hard time understanding why someone would pay $159 for an old used one, when a new 1.4 lens with metal mount and better bokeh can be had for $310.

The only problem I can see when not getting exactly what you purchased is in regards to warranty issues. For example, when I first bought my XTi, I bought it at a "shady" online retailer. I received the Japanese version, the Kiss. It wasn't that big of a deal, until I called the Canon factory here in California and they it is not exactly covered by the US warranty and they may have to send it to Japan. (He said there are some parts in the Kiss not in the XTi. So they/I would need to send it to Japan for warranty work. I don't exactly believe this, but this is what he said and I didn't want to argue.) Just a "sticker"...