Advice on starting out with MF

archaeoImages

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a MF camera for the first time (after many years of

using 35mm) & am after some advice on how to best get into the format. Only MF

camera I've actually handled (briefly) was a Mamiya RB67 & it seems there are

some really cheap deals to be had on these (at KEH for example). So - is this a

sensible way of starting out in MF - anyone suggest a better option? Any advice

considered - thanks.

I recommend the RB67 - I have a similar background coming from DSLR and I found the switch to medium format to be pretty straightforward. You'll also need a good light meter like the sekonic l-508. Also, imho you should upgrade the screen to a beattie or something that has greater brightness. I found it was a big difference in the usability of the camera.

I've used an RB67 Pro S, which is the model I'd recommend. RZ is great, but not sure it's worth the extra $$ unless you want to switch to a digital back at some point.

Cheers

Brian

I am a non-pro. I bought an rz67 which is great but kind of heavy for handheld use. If you think you might be hand holding a lot, you might want to think about a bronica sqa or sqai, which is a 6x6cm (square format) camera. It is a system with interchangeable lenses and backs plus other accessories like the mamiya rb67.

I have also tried the tlr route (mamiya c330) but the bronica would be much more analagous to 35mm use.

I own a long time ago a Mamiya tlr and was a pleasure to use and you can find them still around for reasonable prices this tlr has interchangable lens, as for Medium format there are many choice's to be made ! Some like the mamiya system and then there are others who like bronica system and then there are those who like Rollie and finally there the rolls of cameras Hasselblad which has the V system

which can be expensive? I am getting back into Medium Format and Have gone with Hasselblad ,My CHoice !! so your long and hard and then make a choice which you will feel most comfortable with and you can afford: good luck and happy hunting

There are some very good bargains out there for medium format. With the RB's and Hassy being the most used for studios you're going to find more deals on them.

At least carrying around an RB will reduce time needed at the gym. A backpack full of lenses and backs will certainly add to the workout. :)

As speaking of my own experience as I'm also new to MF and just started very recently with my newly acquired bronica sqa/i system, loved it along with its unique square format. I did some research here and there prior to my decision... and still felt that I have made the right choice today. Bronica SQA/i with speed grip is just a larger sized 35mm SLR with the right weight in hand (not so heavy and light neither) and perfect mobility for anything outdoor and indoor, solid quality and easy to use, along with bronica outstanding glasses of 50, 80, and 150 set, come out excellent results as expected as the medium format should have achieved in all aspects.

In my humble opinion, and with the experience of getting my first mf camera not long ago, I would say that 6x6 camera's are quite difficult to 'get into'. Though the hassy and bronica, and the tlrs, particularly the mamiya c3 and onwards, are very good cameras, I found square format something that takes a while to get used to. If you intend to take on your mf camera the same sorts of pictures as you did on your 35mm, the RBs and RZs are excellent, especially with their rotating backs, because the rectangular format is familiar, and is suited a bit more to the more dynamic compositions many 35mm users are used to, even if their massive weight are not dynamic by any sense of the imagination. Of course another advantage of 6x7s is they enlarge to 10x8" without cropping. The 6x6 format has always seemed to me to be suited for the contemplative shooter, it takes a bit more work, but the results are rewarding. The quality is not an issue except between individual camera, a mamiya, hassy and bronica all give high quality results, even if they are not all of equal quality.

<b>Forgot who said:</b> <i> I recommend the RB67 </i><p>

The RB67 is quite inexpensive. There is a reason you get so much for your money. It is priced the same per-pound as lead. I highly recommend the RB676 to anyone who is not mobility challenged. In fact, I suggest you buy TWO - one for each shoulder so you can maintain balance... kinda like the water maidens you see in old Dutch paintings.

My recommendation is to think Pentax -- great quality and great value. I've used the Pentax

67, but currently using the 645 because of weight. The Pentax 645 will operate in a manner

that is very similar to 35mm. Of all of the 645 systems, I think Pentax is #1 if you are

concerned about price/value; all will deliver excellent quality.

Archaeo, it all depends on your shooting style, your subjects and what you want your camera to do and how many system accessories you need. No medium format camera is a catch-all that gives you everything. Things to consider are the focusing mechanism (rangefinder, <abbr title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr>, <abbr title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr>, guestimating), viewfinder options (prism, <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr>, ordinary viewfinder), fully mechanical vs electronic, format (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, larger), close focus distance and macro capabilities, weight and built type (i.e., folder cameras, rigid rangefinders, boxy <abbr title="single-lens reflex cameras">SLRs</abbr>) and so on. Most of us have several medium format cameras, each for their unique advantages and depending on the desired kind of photography.

<p>

All said, the RB67 is a great camera if you can handle its weight and know about it's shortcomings. Don't forget to get a good hand-held light meter and start your medium format photography!

Don't do it! I haven't used my 35 mm Nikon rig since I settled on a medium format I like (Mamiya 7II from KEH).I found the Bronica SQ Ai too heavy for backpacking. The 35 mm is in the basement, now worthless because I could not bring myself to sell it 3 years ago when it still had a little value. Looking at 6x7 chromes on a light table is addictive. Unbelievable detail in there. Scanning/printing has my family mad at me. Don't do it.

This is a frequent question and a common answer seems to be to try a twin-lens reflex.

There's a huge range of prices, they're portable, very handholdable, unobtrusive, reliable

and give pretty good results, even from the very cheap models. People have used TLRs for

street, landscape, portraits, holiday snaps - they're very versatile. Mostly they produce

square 6x6 photos, but some have a little mask, so you can take 6x4.5cm photos. You get

12 6x6 shots to a roll of 120 film or 16 of the 6x4.5 (aka 645). Very few TLRs were

metered - you'll need a little meter if you're not familiar with the sunny-16 rule. And

people like them - they look funky and unthreatening. They're fun to use as well.

<P>

Have a look in the twin-lens forum. There has been a lot of discussion in there and

beginner's questions are answered quickly and in a friendly way. Don't get bogged down

by which make - think of your first twin lens as a toe in the water. Once you've learned the

twin-lens technique, you'll be ready to get a better one or use what you've learned to try

something different, like a medium-format rangefinder.

The Pentax 645 is great for hand held shots. It is also inexpensive and reliable. But if you want to think square format Hasselblad prices have

dropped about as low as you will see them, they are battery free, all mechanical and reliable. There is digital potential for them as well, as the digital back prices will drop over time.

I'm a new member of this forum. My first post, in fact. You have received some great input so far. I use a RB67 ProS. Like you, I worked in 35mm for years and decided to "amp things up." I checked your photos that you have linked to this site and notice that practically all the work (which is very, very impressive!) is done in the field. Soon after buying the RB67 I took it out and climbed up a ladder with its hand grip to shoot some gargoyles on a church roof. I quickly learned that the RB67 belonged back in my studio, securely perched atop it's rolling tripod.

I soon purchased a used Mamiya 7 and have had excellent results in the field with it. I am aware that lenses for the 7 are still quite expensive for wide angle and telephoto. I still use my Nikkon N90 for shoots in the field that involve action and would benefit from auto focus, auto light settings, variable telephoto, etc.

I suggest you consider how you want to use the new camera and then make your selection based on your considerations. Good luck!

I am a medium format shooter shooting a variety of cameras so this is a contrary point of view, but personally I don't see any real point in buying into the format unless a persons needs are such that the format accomplishes a job for them, not just a "I want it" money spending need. If all your going to have printed is 5x5 prints and the occasional larger size, and your not going to be doing any real work in the format to sell, you may as well save your money and time and continue on with what your shooting. The whole idea of better tonality and being able to print larger/better prints only has it's justification when you actually print larger continuously or when you actually sell in the image industry. People will argue the better/smaller from the format but it's all bs now days as 35mm digital has taken it to task, which is why most wedding shooters shoot digital; Albeit that digital is faster and can be less costly in certain instances.

The format, excluding digital, to all extent and purposes has been dying for quite some time now, which is why the prices are headed to the basement, and it's not going to be the money spending amateurs who have always wanted one that is going to save it from dying an impending film size death unless they get off their asses and start shooting a lot of film constantly which is doubtful. Amateurs just don't shoot enough film, and the quantities are getting smaller not be a few precentage points a year but by tens of percentage points a year as the years go by. Of course I would love to see more people shoot 120 film and keep the format alive with film and products but the chances of that are slimmer as time goes on and the film format is just becoming an eventual relic. Time frame? Who knows, but if you must absolutely try the film format before it disappears, buy something cheap and small in size so you will won't be persuaded to leave it behind for the next vacation or the birthday party/holiday season and try and shoot at least 5 rolls a month minimum. If a thousand of us here shot 60 rolls a year that would still be a drop in the bucket of what will be needed to save the film format.

If these people: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html can keep AZO

paper available just about single handed, there will be niche businesses that will keep

medium format film cameras clicking well in to the 22nd century.

Ilford has reorganized and appears healthy as a small niche company. So rest easy and

join the ranks of medium format shooters.

Dwayne's or A&I will process your E6 films. There is plenty of film available from mail-

order dealers.

Cheers, Jim