After the leaves drop...

edroper

"Winter" has always been a difficult photo season for me. I just moved to South

Eastern Pennsylvania from Coastal Virginia, so during the winter down there I

always had the beach to rely on for photographic subjects.

Now that most of the leaves have dropped here inland in the hills of PA, I'm

wondering what to focus on during the winter here. Supposedly it snows, but that

doesnt happen too often.

So what I'm looking for is some advice or suggestions, of how to keep the

lanscape & nature creative juices flowing in the barren and dry winter season of

the northeast. Anybody have any suggestions?

I used to have a similar problem every winter, but I eventually got over it. Here are some suggestions:

Waterfalls are easier to get to in winter, both due to the loss of foliage and the smaller crowds at popular ones. The fields are still attractive in winter, despite the loss of foliage on the trees, just keep an eye out for interesting patterns. Birds stay around to an extent, and some larger wildlife is easier to find without foliage.

It snows more often then you'd expect in an average winter. People from south east of I-95 (lived in MD for many years) often underestimate the amount and frequency of snowfall north and west of I-95, which happens to be positioned at about the right elevation to be the snow/rain line in many storms. SE PA definately gets hammered a few times a year, although not as much as the rest of the state, it'll still be more than you are probably used to.

Have you considered switching photographic styles for the seasons? I often end up taking pictures of man-made stuff in winter, or birds, because where I live now (Alabama), winter is a great birding time, what with the Bald Eagles and all.

No problem.

You're in a better area for photography in winter than you may think, but it will take some time to get used to it. PA is loaded with waterfalls and history that stay interesting year round. Covered bridges are still scenic in winter, as well. But seriously, watch the hills and fields, they can be very interesting in winter.

I live in northcentral Pa. after growing up in SE Pa. This is what I photograph in winter. I suggest you travel N of I-80 and you can fing a lot of subjects.

However you might look at the winter farmers fields, and/or the Mennonite & Amish as they travel in buggys.<div>00IXli-33120284.jpg.750dc9bea1f0ea6d5d70a69562713c0a.jpg</div>

Plus ... the mid-Atlantic area often gets wet snow ... big white flakes that pile up on every branch and twig of trees, bushes, etc. That and the occasional ice storm, yield some of the most spectacular winter photography one could hope for. Even a brief freezing rain can make everything in sight appear to be coated with spun glass. Treacherous driving, nice shooting :)

Scope out some pine trees/evergreens and wait for the forecasts !

Ed,

The shot linked below from my photo.net portfolio wouldn't have worked as well if the leaves hadn't fallen (if it works at all). I'm in the Harrisburg area of PA. I've noticed that apple trees reveal some particularly interesting forms when naked, so if you have any orchards nearby, give them a look.

http://www.photo.net/photo/2079715&size=md